Some California news

Ararar

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

The 2020 season is the one DLS folk have been looking forward to.  Will have one of their better teams in years.  Should be fun.  May even go down to SD, if it's part of the honor bowl, to watch this one

It is not apart of the honor bowl because that is typically labor day weekend which is the same weekend as Cathedral Catholic. So must be a new/different event. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

The 2020 season is the one DLS folk have been looking forward to.  Will have one of their better teams in years.  Should be fun.  May even go down to SD, if it's part of the honor bowl, to watch this one. 

I'm curious as to why DLS fans are so high on the team next season? Looking at their roster they are going to be losing some key players, especially on offense . Is it because Hale is going to be a senior?  I'd say he has lived up to the hype yet.

Any DLS fans want to sell me on why next year is going to be there best team? Their line is young? 

3 hours ago, DLS350 said:

Hello, Folsom!

You see this?

Is this mic on? 🎤 🎤 🎤 

🦗 🦗 🦗 🦗 🦗 🦗 🦗 🦗 🦗 🦗 🦗 🦗 

In all fairness you're comparing a wealthy private school vs a public. I'm hopeful Folsom gets at least one national team on their schedule. Would love to see them play the likes of Mission Viejo or hell throw in Servite. 

If they don't have at least one top Cali team in there I am going to be very disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

In all fairness you're comparing a wealthy private school vs a public. I'm hopeful Folsom gets at least one national team on their schedule. Would love to see them play the likes of Mission Viejo or hell throw in Servite. 

If they don't have at least one top Cali team in there I am going to be very disappointed. 

Actually, no, the comparison is between two public schools.  Centennial vs Folsom.

Was the M-A game a home-and-home series?  If not, they should replace that game with one against a WCAL team like Serra or VC.

Is it confirmed that the DLS game has not been re-upped?

2 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

Actually, no, the comparison is between two public schools.  Centennial vs Folsom.

Was the M-A game a home-and-home series?  If not, they should replace that game with one against a WCAL team like Serra or VC.

Is it confirmed that the DLS game has not been re-upped?

My bad I read it as DLS' schedule. Apologies @DLS350 That's a great schedule for C10. 

Nothing is confirmed regarding the DLS game. Hoping they can play them AND a So Cal team. Who cares about the perfect records if you aren't going to the Open anyways?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Extremely Humble said:

I'm curious as to why DLS fans are so high on the team next season? Looking at their roster they are going to be losing some key players, especially on offense . Is it because Hale is going to be a senior?  I'd say he has lived up to the hype yet.

Any DLS fans want to sell me on why next year is going to be there best team? Their line is young? 

Its mos def an inside thing.  Some major players are coming up. 

• Like 1

Its mos def an inside thing.  Some major players are coming up. 

Any running backs? They're losing a lot at that position and that's where they thrive. DLS jv team didn't impress me when I saw them in person. I know they have a bunch of sophs on varsity but only seems like a few of them play. I'll take your word for it. 

1 hour ago, Extremely Humble said:

Any running backs? They're losing a lot at that position and that's where they thrive. DLS jv team didn't impress me when I saw them in person. I know they have a bunch of sophs on varsity but only seems like a few of them play. I'll take your word for it. 

They have some kats that do not get the playing time yet, due to Garret and Colby.  But they will be sick.  The next 2 years at least will be fun for DLS. 

• Like 2

D1/D2 Scores:

Mater Dei 38 - St. John Bosco 24
JSerra 19 - Orange Lutheran 0
Servite 27 - Santa Margarita 0
Norco 56 - Roosevelt 7
Poly 52 - Jordan 7
Rancho Verde 56 - Paloma Valley 7
Centennial 42 - King 0
Mission Viejo 38 - San Clemente 6
Bishop Amat 35 - Notre Dame 21
Sierra Canyon 13 - Grace Brethren 7
Calabas 30 - Oaks Christian 27
Rancho Cucamonga 41 - Los Osos 6
Murrieta Valley 73 - Murrieta Mesa 35
Serra 32 - Alemany 25
Chaminade 21 - Loyola 10
Vista Murrieta 31 - Great Oak 7
Upland 28 - Chino Hills 21

Valencia - Saugus (PPD - Sat)

Bonus D3:
Corona del Mar 56 - Newport Harbor 17

10 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

D1/D2 Scores:

Mater Dei 38 - St. John Bosco 24
JSerra 19 - Orange Lutheran 0
Servite 27 - Santa Margarita 0
Norco 56 - Roosevelt 7
Poly 52 - Jordan 7
Rancho Verde 56 - Paloma Valley 7
Centennial 42 - King 0
Mission Viejo 38 - San Clemente 6
Bishop Amat 35 - Notre Dame 21
Sierra Canyon 13 - Grace Brethren 7
Calabas 30 - Oaks Christian 27
Rancho Cucamonga 41 - Los Osos 6
Murrieta Valley 73 - Murrieta Mesa 35
Serra 32 - Alemany 25
Chaminade 21 - Loyola 10
Vista Murrieta 31 - Great Oak 7
Upland 28 - Chino Hills 21

Valencia - Saugus (PPD - Sat)

Bonus D3:
Corona del Mar 56 - Newport Harbor 17

Looking like 

Mater Dei

SJB

Mission Viejo

Centennial

Servite 

Amat

JSerra

Cluster of teams

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

Looking like 

Mater Dei

SJB

Mission Viejo

Centennial

Servite 

Amat

JSerra

Cluster of teams

JSerra beat Amat earlier this year.

I'd throw CDM, Calabasas, Sierra Canyon and Grace Brethren up there in top of the "cluster of teams" category.

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me why Narbonne isn’t ever considered for the D1 playoffs? I mean, if there’s one team in So-Cal besides the 2 big Trinity and Public schools who might be competitive, it’s NB; let alone the fact they pretty much are shoe-no every year compared to the other teams in the city-section. 

I asked Mark Tennis from Cal-Hi sports awhile back, but am still unclear why CIF wouldn’t make the change in this new D1/D2 alignment. 

https://www.calhisports.com/2019/07/07/fb-preview-eight-burning-questions/

11070853-E46E-46F8-8503-0A66FC9B2497.jpeg

8F31DBB5-D69D-4750-9EC0-2F1728076AF9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Can someone explain to me why Narbonne isn’t ever considered for the D1 playoffs? I mean, if there’s one team in So-Cal besides the 2 big Trinity and Public schools who might be competitive, it’s NB; let alone the fact they pretty much are shoe-no every year compared to the other teams in the city-section. 

I asked Mark Tennis from Cal-Hi sports awhile back, but am still unclear why CIF wouldn’t make the change in this new D1/D2 alignment. 

https://www.calhisports.com/2019/07/07/fb-preview-eight-burning-questions/

11070853-E46E-46F8-8503-0A66FC9B2497.jpeg

8F31DBB5-D69D-4750-9EC0-2F1728076AF9.jpeg

Basically, the Bonne is a beneficiary of the Folsom Rule 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Can someone explain to me why Narbonne isn’t ever considered for the D1 playoffs?

Mark explained this. Narbonne is in the CIF City Section. The CIFSS "D1" playoffs are constrained to teams within the CIF Southern Section. Most CIF sections have their own playoff brackets which only include teams from within that section. The CIFSS is the largest section in CIF with over 400 teams, so it sort of makes sense why they would have their own sectional playoff bracket instead of participating in an "Open" intersectional playoff bracket as some smaller sections do.

The statewide structure goes like this:

1. Sectional playoffs (CIFSS "D1", etc.)

2. Regional Bowl Games (must be a sectional champion to play)

3. State Championship Games

Since 2014, the two best teams chosen to represent the South and the North in the "Open" state title game (3) have been exempt from having to play in a regional bowl game (2). Historically, the winner of the CIFSS D1 sectional playoffs has been chosen to represent the South in the "Open" title game (3) and therefore have not been required to play in a regional bowl game (2). The only chance Narbonne would get to face a CIFSS D1 school would be in a regional bowl game (2) but because the winners of CIFSS D1 have consistently been selected for the "Open" title game (3), it's never happened and probably never will unless something changes to the statewide playoff structure.

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2019 at 7:41 AM, dntn31 said:

Mark explained this. Narbonne is in the CIF City Section. The CIFSS "D1" playoffs are constrained to teams within the CIF Southern Section. Most CIF sections have their own playoff brackets which only include teams from within that section. The CIFSS is the largest section in CIF with over 400 teams, so it sort of makes sense why they would have their own sectional playoff bracket instead of participating in an "Open" intersectional playoff bracket as some smaller sections do.

The statewide structure goes like this:

1. Sectional playoffs (CIFSS "D1", etc.)

2. Regional Bowl Games (must be a sectional champion to play)

3. State Championship Games

Since 2014, the two best teams chosen to represent the South and the North in the "Open" state title game (3) have been exempt from having to play in a regional bowl game (2). Historically, the winner of the CIFSS D1 sectional playoffs has been chosen to represent the South in the "Open" title game (3) and therefore have not been required to play in a regional bowl game (2). The only chance Narbonne would get to face a CIFSS D1 school would be in a regional bowl game (2) but because the winners of CIFSS D1 have consistently been selected for the "Open" title game (3), it's never happened and probably never will unless something changes to the statewide playoff structure.

This is a representation of a problem that took me a long time to understand after I moved to SoCal.  You guys call the Southern Section playoffs "CIF".  It isn't CIF.  It's Southern Section.  CIF is state playoffs.  Yes, it's CIF Southern Section, but y'all don't hear the Southern Section part of it, as represented by Adam's original question.

In NorCal, we would say we were going to "CCS" or "NCS".  We would never use the term CIF.  Even when teams moved on to the state playoffs, we still wouldn't use that term.  We'd use "going to state".  Much more accurate.

It appears that the SDS people also say "CIF".  I don't know where it all started, but I came to realize that people on the TV broadcasts use "CIF" without the SS part about 50-75% of the time, so that's how everyone else hears it.  I know it's unrealistic to expect a public campaign on trying to fix this, but it doesn't make it sound any less wrong.  Even after 25 years of hearing it, it still raises the hair on the back of my neck and makes me shake my head. 

The best was on the SoCal message board when someone would ask "Who is better?  City Section or CIF?"  I would respond, "The CIF is vastly superior.  City Section has teams like Carson, Birmingham, Dorsey, and Crenshaw while the CIF has teams like LB Poly, Mater Dei, De La Salle,  Dorsey, and Crenshaw."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

This is a representation of a problem that took me a long time to understand after I moved to SoCal.  You guys call the Southern Section playoffs "CIF".  It isn't CIF.  It's Southern Section.  CIF is state playoffs.  Yes, it's CIF Southern Section, but y'all don't hear the Southern Section part of it, as represented by Adam's original question.

In NorCal, we would say we were going to "CCS" or "NCS".  We would never use the term CIF.  Even when teams moved on to the state playoffs, we still wouldn't use that term.  We'd use "going to state".  Much more accurate.

It appears that the SDS people also say "CIF".  I don't know where it all started, but I came to realize that people on the TV broadcasts use "CIF" without the SS part about 50-75% of the time, so that's how everyone else hears it.  I know it's unrealistic to expect a public campaign on trying to fix this, but it doesn't make it sound any less wrong.  Even after 25 years of hearing it, it still raises the hair on the back of my neck and makes me shake my head. 

The best was on the SoCal message board when someone would ask "Who is better?  City Section or CIF?"  I would respond, "The CIF is vastly superior.  City Section has teams like Carson, Birmingham, Dorsey, and Crenshaw while the CIF has teams like LB Poly, Mater Dei, De La Salle,  Dorsey, and Crenshaw."

Easy answer.  The only CIF section that matters is the SS.  So we just refer to SS as CIF. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

It started way before there were state games when the best you could do was win CIF. That was accurate until the state games. The vernacular never changed. 

3 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

NorCal gets it.. SoCal?  Not so much. 

• Like 1