Some California news

Ararar

1 hour ago, HooverOutlaw said:

What would be different for a coach at MD than say an another California powerhouse.

There are a lot of really good teams but the resources and expectations at Mater Dei are only matched by bosco in California. And absolutely no disrespect to bosco but their history is not Mater Dei’s either. It’s been this way for a while.  Things are expected to be executed the right way and the football coach still has to answer to his superiors. Frank has a very strong personality that rubs some people the wrong way. People thought Rollinson walked on water but he still had people to answer to. Can’t just get it done on the field. I said a long time ago on here that the HC job at MD is like being the CEO. A lot to deal with. There are still boosters that graduated in the 60’s and 70’s with sky high expectations Lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

To be fair , a number of those hoop titles came at the lower lever . They seemed to go to another level after they beat Modesto Christian in the D-1 final . That may have been their best all around team

There was a stretch when CIF required you to play in your division determined by enrollment, which is why MD played in D2 those years.  I can’t speak for the past 5 or so years, but during MD’s heyday, we always - always - played up when permitted.  So not our doing that we ended up in lower div games during that stretch.

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

Not the pressure, but it is tough replacing a guy like Rollo. Frank and Rollo had different presences both on and off the field. It’s all good when you get to coach Mater Dei football, but there is much more to the job than coaching. MD wishes him well and the “search” won’t be long. I thought it was a good hire initially, sure I would have done things differently as the season went along but at the end of the day he got the job done. It obviously was not on the field performance related but there are other areas to perform and they have to be done the right way. People can say whatever they want about Rollo but he had it all rolling. It’s not an easy job. Frank worked extremely hard and wanted nothing but the best for the boys. 

Thanks for the explanation.  We’d better not lose some dudes bc of this…

1 minute ago, MD87 said:

Thanks for the explanation.  We’d better not lose some dudes bc of this…

Dubar and Holmes will be crucial. I’m most worried about what happens with EJ. They need to hire and annnounce asap and get on with it. We will lose some kids as we do every year. The good news is that everybody else does too. I don’t care what school you coach at, kids now will bounce for a “better” opportunity even with zero adversity at their current school. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

We will lose some kids as we do every year.

Indeed.  I’m talking first string guys.  Davisons, Wyatts, Henrys.  Guys that would normally be crazy to look elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, MD87 said:

There was a stretch when CIF required you to play in your division determined by enrollment, which is why MD played in D2 those years.  I can’t speak for the past 5 or so years, but during MD’s heyday, we always - always - played up when permitted.  So not our doing that we ended up in lower div games during that stretch.

Since we are on the subject, who do you, or any other MD person, think what was MD's best team ever . Also, who do you think was the best team to come out of Ca ?  Anyone can answer

4 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Since we are on the subject, who do you, or any other MD person, think what was MD's best team ever . Also, who do you think was the best team to come out of Ca ?  Anyone can answer

Sorry, I didn't clarify what sport.  Basketball

18 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

I thought 2001 was their best. Best overall gotta be Chino Hills.

32 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

I thought 2001 was their best. Best overall gotta be Chino Hills.

Was 2001 the team that beat Modesto ?  I know they had the Ware brother teams and also the Stanley teams , but I didn't follow them enough to make the claim that 2001 was the best . Personally from what I saw in person, 2001 was best .  Picking best team ever from Ca is a huge task . I would go with the Dominguez Compton team with Chandler his jr. year . They won the MNC that season with convincing wins , one of which was Oak Hill .  But there are a lot of other great teams that have won state also .  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliNorth said:

Was 2001 the team that beat Modesto ?  I know they had the Ware brother teams and also the Stanley teams , but I didn't follow them enough to make the claim that 2001 was the best . Personally from what I saw in person, 2001 was best .  Picking best team ever from Ca is a huge task . I would go with the Dominguez Compton team with Chandler his jr. year . They won the MNC that season with convincing wins , one of which was Oak Hill .  But there are a lot of other great teams that have won state also .  

Memory is slipping but that sounds correct. Modesto Christian, right? They had a big time player around that time… Chuck something maybe. I didn’t see much of the Johnson team at all, and most would say that’s the best. 2001 may have been the most talented, though. Maybe not, I’m not really bball guy.

That team had 6’6” Cedric Bozeman usually running point and 6’11” Jamal Sampson in the middle. Both played professionally, and Sampson is probably the best big man they’ve ever had. Both were All Americans and seniors. DJ Strawberry also played professionally and went in the second round after Maryland. Rankings didn’t really exist until 2003, but Bozeman and Sampson would have to have been both top 5 in CA their year. Washington, Strawberry, and Schaen were ranked as the #7, #10, and #17 in the state in the class following them. All of these years aren’t exact but they’re within a year, and unless I’m really losing it that was the starting five for that team in 2001. MD homers gonna have to check me there.

But two McDonald’s All American seniors, a couple of four-star juniors, and the #17 prospect in CA is a pretty loaded team. Who were their two losses that year? I think they played Oak Hill and that would have been Carmelo Anthony’s senior year, or maybe Dasagna Diop?

Also, yeah that Dominguez team was great, but I don’t remember enough outside Tyson Chandler. My friend had to guard him in the championship game. Chandler was drafted #2 a couple months later. They won the natty I think but lost some games too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoBigBlack said:

Memory is slipping but that sounds correct. Modesto Christian, right? They had a big time player around that time… Chuck something maybe. I didn’t see much of the Johnson team at all, and most would say that’s the best. 2001 may have been the most talented, though. Maybe not, I’m not really bball guy.

That team had 6’6” Cedric Bozeman usually running point and 6’11” Jamal Sampson in the middle. Both played professionally, and Sampson is probably the best big man they’ve ever had. Both were All Americans and seniors. DJ Strawberry also played professionally and went in the second round after Maryland. Rankings didn’t really exist until 2003, but Bozeman and Sampson would have to have been both top 5 in CA their year. Washington, Strawberry, and Schaen were ranked as the #7, #10, and #17 in the state in the class following them. All of these years aren’t exact but they’re within a year, and unless I’m really losing it that was the starting five for that team in 2001. MD homers gonna have to check me there.

But two McDonald’s All American seniors, a couple of four-star juniors, and the #17 prospect in CA is a pretty loaded team. Who were their two losses that year? I think they played Oak Hill and that would have been Carmelo Anthony’s senior year, or maybe Dasagna Diop?

Also, yeah that Dominguez team was great, but I don’t remember enough outside Tyson Chandler. My friend had to guard him in the championship game. Chandler was drafted #2 a couple months later. They won the natty I think but lost some games too.

the 2013-2014 MD team, which was Stanley Johnson's senior year, thats often said as the best ever MD team in the McKnight era, also, that MD team and the 1985 MD team, are the only MD teams in the McKnight era to go undefeated right?

The 2006 and 2007 Artesia teams are one of the best ever too as well.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 6:48 PM, HurricaneNick said:

Things are expected to be executed the right way and the football coach still has to answer to his superiors. Frank has a very strong personality that rubs some people the wrong way. People thought Rollinson walked on water but he still had people to answer to. Can’t just get it done on the field. I said a long time ago on here that the HC job at MD is like being the CEO. A lot to deal with. There are still boosters that graduated in the 60’s and 70’s with sky high expectations Lol.

^^^ I do apologize for giving you this story minutes after the firing and not making you wait until Monday to read it like everyone else

😂

https://highschool.athlonsports.com/california/2024/04/15/column-mater-deis-dismissal-of-frank-mcmanus-shows-it-needs-ceo-not-just-a-coach

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

^^^ I do apologize for giving you this story minutes after the firing and not making you wait until Monday to read it like everyone else

😂

https://highschool.athlonsports.com/california/2024/04/15/column-mater-deis-dismissal-of-frank-mcmanus-shows-it-needs-ceo-not-just-a-coach

Wow. Good article. It portrays a very unflattering picture of Frank. It is unfortunate for Frank because he is a very fine coach and his players like him. But as the article said, he failed at being the CEO and a leader in all aspects off the field.

• Like 2

just checked the latest stats, i think McKnight is less than 5 games shy of surpassing Coaching legend Morgan Wootten for victories, i wonder if there will be a ceremony or something the day that McKnight surpasses Wootten. That means McKnight will have done that many wins in 43 seasons compared to Wootten's 46 seasons.

Each of them have their pros and cons against each other, McKnight has a higher winning percentage than Wootten does, however, Wootten has managed to produce more players that found more success in basketball past HS than McKnight has, such as Adrian Dantley, the most successful NBA player under Morgan Wootten at DeMatha, 10-time NBA all-star and in the Hall of Fame, meanwhile the 9 MD players who made it to the NBA, not a single one has made the NBA all-star team even once, not a single time.

a lot of people have had this mindset or mentalty regarding the MD's boys basketball program under McKnight, its known for producing HS stars, but they very rarely become stars at the next level.

14 hours ago, GeorgeW said:

This is pretty shocking.   Not an alum and has been coaching at a small public school recently. 

This could open  the door for a mass exodus of alums from supporting the program. 

I actually used to not be the biggest Lara fan. He walked into a situation of following Jasso with a loaded team, really a no win for him. 

As the years passed, I really started to like the guy as a coach. It’s not like he has never been at a big time program and has no idea what is at stake. I think its a good hire. Good coach.

• Like 2