Some California news

Ararar

On 1/17/2020 at 6:44 PM, Slotback Right said:

Well, now I'm confused. Dan Albano, just two days ago, says Servite's schedule includes:

Mission Viejo @ Servite

Konawaena of Hawaii @ Mission Viejo

Liberty of Henderson Nev. in a showcase in Las Vegas

Desert Pines of Nevada @ Mission Viejo

??

No mention of dates, and no mention of who the fifth opponent is.

If it’s January, it must mean that high school football transfer season is in high gear for quarterbacks.

The count has reached at least 11 for those who hope to play quarterback at new schools.

The latest is Ashley Tucker, who was the backup at Narbonne to Jake Garcia. He’s now at Warren. Garcia left for La Habra.

One of the first to leave for the new semester was sophomore Zachary Siskowic, who left Sherman Oaks Notre Dame for Crespi. Harvard-Westlake’s backup quarterback, Evan Roderick, is also at Crespi.

St. John Bosco junior varsity quarterback Lachlan Rosmalen went to San Clemente. Backup Sierra Canyon quarterback Amari Powell went to Oaks Christian. St. Francis quarterback Jack Clougherty is now at Muir. Alhambra quarterback Noah Rodriguez went to Monrovia. Garfield quarterback Jonathan Bautista left for Sierra Vista.

Gardena Serra backup quarterback Justyn Martin left for Inglewood. Calabasas backup quarterback Dylan Gebbia returned to Alemany, which he attended as a freshman.

Santa Ana Mater Dei hasn’t picked up a quarterback yet, but the Monarchs got a top running back, Raleek Brown, from Stockton Edison, and a good lineman from JSerra, Ross Maseuli, who also played one year at San Diego Cathedral Catholic.

Sierra Canyon added receiver Elias Larry and running back Anthony Spearman from Sherman Oaks Notre Dame, plus lineman Kejani Swanson from St. Francis. Inglwood picked up sophomore running back Taariq Al-Uqdah from Narbonne. Alemany has linebacker Jake Moore from Notre Dame. Servite got tight end Keyan Burnett from JSerra.

ADVERTISEMENT

And this is just the beginning. Most of the transfers will take place when the spring semester ends and parents weigh whether their sons are going to be starters or not.

It’s life in 2020. There were nearly 16,000 transfers in California the last school year. Players are eligible immediately if they change residences. They also have a one-time sitout period if they don’t move that lasts about five games.

from LA Times

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

eric sondheimer

@latsondheimer

The Narbonne football mess is getting crazier. Carson coach Arnold Ale has become the No. 1 candidate to take over the program. Of course, LAUSD still has to work out a deal with current coach Manuel Douglas. And the player exodus is going full speed.

4th departure from JSerra football confirmed: standout junior defensive tackle and team leader Siale Suliafu has enrolled at St. Bernard of Playa del Rey

@SteveFryer

@ocvarsity

this school is rumored to be hiring manny Douglas the ousted Narbonne coach.They have picked up quite a few transfers in the last two weeks 

7 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Yetts and Raleek Brown will make a nice tandem. Plus it allows them to play Craig primarily as slot receiver, or most likely in the defensive backfield where the need is greater.

Yep I agree. I like Craig on both sides of the ball. He looked good at corner, it would be huge if he could come in and lock up a teams #3 receiver. 

26 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Here is an Interesting Post from the OC Board Regarding what is Going on at JSerra with the Mass Exodus... Sounds like the whole thing is falling apart over-there.... Tough to keep up with MD when you don't have the Alumni Base, etc and Power Public MV down the Street...

image.png.3a8febed9afa372b099feb392139055f.png

JS was built on the idea of becoming an athletic power from day one. Classes are held in office buildings, they aren’t a part of the diocese, it’s a lot different than the other Catholic schools in OC. My nephew played soccer at JS & just graduated last year, he said he could see it coming. The football problems are spilling over into other areas of the school and are causing families to check out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

JS was built on the idea of becoming an athletic power from day one. Classes are held in office buildings, they aren’t a part of the diocese, it’s a lot different than the other Catholic schools in OC. My nephew played soccer at JS & just graduated last year, he said he could see it coming. The football problems are spilling over into other areas of the school and are causing families to check out. 

Daughter graduated from there last year. They had waiting lists for freshman and sophomore classes.  However, some of the other programs have had issues (girls BB comes to mind).  Basketball is doing well and baseball is probably one of the top 3-4 programs in the state, girls soccer is a dynasty - and yes, they have football issues-but the quality of the coaching staff (and the recent addition of Rob Johnson and Sam Baker-and maybe someday Bret Johnson?) should slow the bleeding.

Facilities are top-level but location doesn't work in their favor.  School is also fundraising for a capital campaign to add more classroom space and a theatre.

School is fine-football will work itself out.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, daddyooo said:

Daughter graduated from there last year. They had waiting lists for freshman and sophomore classes.  However, some of the other programs have had issues (girls BB comes to mind).  Basketball is doing well and baseball is probably one of the top 3-4 programs in the state, girls soccer is a dynasty - and yes, they have football issues-but the quality of the coaching staff (and the recent addition of Rob Johnson and Sam Baker-and maybe someday Bret Johnson?) should slow the bleeding.

Facilities are top-level but location doesn't work in their favor.  School is also fundraising for a capital campaign to add more classroom space and a theatre.

School is fine-football will work itself out.

one more thing-given the overall experience  when we were there-I would send my daughter there again in a minute.  Great school, great people at all levels.  

I can tell you that the sports kids who transferred out usually had difficult parents with unreasonable expectations, and were often divas themselves.   And if what I think is going on at St. Bernards is what I think it is-I fear there are going to be a lot of kids ineligible to play.

• Thanks 2

City Section football coaches are expected to meet in June and vote on a playoff proposal that would eliminate the Open Division and limit the format to Divisions I, II, III and IV, sports coordinator Shane Cox said Monday.

Cox, who is making the proposal, said Division I would be made up of 17 teams and ranked 1 through 17. Division II would have a similar number of teams, and so forth. In an interesting twist, Cox said one team wouldn’t make the Division I 16-team field but would be available in case a team is removed because of forfeits, something that has happened in recent years.

The reason for the change is that Harbor City Narbonne is about to lose its “super team” status. Narbonne’s rise led the City Section to create an Open Division of eight teams. But Narbonne has lost coach Manuel Douglas, who has been on suspension for a year during a Los Angeles Unified School District investigation. The team had to forfeit all its victories last season and was banned from the playoffs for two years for using ineligible players.

Narbonne has since lost several top players who have transferred to other schools, including quarterbacks Jake Garcia (La Habra) and Ashley Tucker (Downey Warren). It’s still uncertain who will coach the Gauchos in 2020.

“If we don’t have this one super team that no one can compete with, there’s no reason to keep this format,” Cox said.

Each of the four division champions would receive an automatic berth into the state playoffs.

“It will give lower teams an incentive to play for something,” Cox said.

City Section officials were upset that Lake Balboa Birmingham, the 2019 Open Division champion, was placed in Division 2-A for the state playoffs, losing 51-23 to Oxnard Pacificain a regional bowl game. Having four divisions could help the City Section find more appropriate placements for state, Cox said.

18 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, this is a COMPLETE misrepresentation. Cen10 DID reach out after multiple attempts by Folsom. Cen10 stated publicly they wanted a week 2 game and were open to home AND away. Folsom took them up on this offer and offered week 2 at Folsom, since Cen10 has never traveled. Ever. They declined and said "travel" only meant "travel within SoCal." They didn't really want to play. 

So, the deal was off. Cen10 is looking for a local team to play. 

Right @On2whls? :) 

• Thumbs Down 2