Some California news

Ararar

33 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Ahh, I did not check to see if its only for active coaches.  If that's the case, then my bad.  If not, my original comment stands.

Best on the fact that they didn’t use the words “ever” or “all time” I would infer, the list is of current coaches:

731DA8A5-D7BC-4F40-B97B-67C7BF27658E.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 7:37 AM, SoCalFball said:

Happy late bday to the man who sold his soul to the devil to get back to the top of the mountain haha

yup, MD's journey to becoming a national powerhouse again in football, it all started when the 2011 season ended, when MD missed the playoffs for the first time in a quarter century, since 1986, I believe during that timespan, they held the O.C. record for the longest streak of playoff appearences. don't know the full details,. but the way Rollo and others have said, he blew up the program after the 2011 season ended, made a huge overhaul.

22 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

yup, MD's journey to becoming a national powerhouse again in football, it all started when the 2011 season ended, when MD missed the playoffs for the first time in a quarter century, since 1986, I believe during that timespan, they held the O.C. record for the longest streak of playoff appearences. don't know the full details,. but the way Rollo and others have said, he blew up the program after the 2011 season ended, made a huge overhaul.

No doubt prompted by the 3rd consecutive loss to Servite.

The Stache decided he needed to start recruiting.  Bigly.

16 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/-exhWm9fzUylu3tC7ley-w/california-all-decade-high-school-football-team.htm

California All decade team. I’ll take these guys over anybody

Not one servite friar listed. (Not surprising)

Why you gotta do Sammy like that?

You know how he do.... working to keep the Friars up there. 

😁

bgw

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Why you gotta do Sammy like that?

You know how he do.... working to keep the Friars up there. 

😁

bgw

No shot at Sam just simply letting everybody know the team was for real! We can’t count on fryerz. Usually they’ll sneak a girl or two from Servite on the 2nd or 3rd team. (Politics) 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

the MD-Servite rivalry, is definetley an iconic H.S. rivalry, overall, Servite has only beaten MD 3 times within the past 30 to 31 years, in which MD had a 20-year streak over the Friars that ended in 2009, the year after Matt Barkley graduated. For the newer generation of MD fans, Bosco is definetley MD's main rival now. For old-school, it's Servite.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

the MD-Servite rivalry, is definetley an iconic H.S. rivalry, overall, Servite has only beaten MD 3 times within the past 30 to 31 years, in which MD had a 20-year streak over the Friars that ended in 2009, the year after Matt Barkley graduated. For the newer generation of MD fans, Bosco is definetley MD's main rival now. For old-school, it's Servite.

My School is St. Paul.  We had our way with Mater Dei for many years.  Never lost to them while I was at St. Paul and probably 6 years before and 3 years after.

A close family member was on the 2009  Servite team that snapped the streak.  I was there for that too 

I’ve had my fill of beating the Monarchs 

Now I am just a casual observer and wish them well for the sake of the League 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

My School is ST. Paul.  We had our way with Mater Dei for many years.  Never lost to them while I was at ST Paul and probably 6 years before and 3 years after.

A close family member was on the 2009  Servite team that snapped the streak.  I was there for that too 

Yeah ok, sure Sammy.   😂 😂 

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

My School is St. Paul.  We had our way with Mater Dei for many years.  Never lost to them while I was at St. Paul and probably 6 years before and 3 years after.

the one MD-Servite game I will never forget, will forever remain etched in my memory, was the 2006 game, that was Matt Barkley's sophomore year as the QB for MD, the game was played at Angel Stadium, it went into overtime, Servite was so close to breaking the streak, but they missed a field goal that bounced, richocheted off the goal-post. 

Even though I was not at this one, another MD-Servite game that was very hyped, was the 2002 game, Servite came into the game undefeated, overconfident, highly believing they would end the streak that year, that was Ryan Kalil's senior year for Servite, CSUF was packed, standing-room only crowd, many Servite fans had warpaint on their faces. MD throttled Servite 24-7. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

the one MD-Servite game I will never forget, will forever remain etched in my memory, was the 2006 game, that was Matt Barkley's sophomore year as the QB for MD, the game was played at Angel Stadium, it went into overtime, Servite was so close to breaking the streak, but they missed a field goal that bounced, richocheted off the goal-post. 

Even though I was not at this one, another MD-Servite game that was very hyped, was the 2002 game, Servite came into the game undefeated, overconfident, highly believing they would end the streak that year, that was Ryan Kalil's senior year for Servite, CSUF was packed, standing-room only crowd, many Servite fans had warpaint on their faces. MD throttled Servite 24-7. 

Good times.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:06 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

LOL!  You keep thinking it had anything to do with Servite.  

2 minutes ago, MD87 said:

Good times.

another thing that's interesting about the 2002 season for MD, was that season, they made the CIF Finals and got killed by Los Alamitos in the title game, which would mark a decade-long CIF title game appearance drought for Rollo and MD, they wouldn't reach the finals again until the 2012 season, when Rollo blew up the program after the 2011 season.

That 2002 Los Al team, they had one of the top-ranked safeties in the nation at the time, Randy Estes, many thought he was the best Safety to come out of California since Ronnie Lott, but he never played college football due to off the field issues, I believe he got busted for selling marijuana a few blocks away from Los Al's campus. He had all the talent in the world, but didn't have the heart, right mindset.

38 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

another thing that's interesting about the 2002 season for MD, was that season, they made the CIF Finals and got killed by Los Alamitos in the title game, which would mark a decade-long CIF title game appearance drought for Rollo and MD, they wouldn't reach the finals again until the 2012 season, when Rollo blew up the program after the 2011 season.

That 2002 Los Al team, they had one of the top-ranked safeties in the nation at the time, Randy Estes, many thought he was the best Safety to come out of California since Ronnie Lott, but he never played college football due to off the field issues, I believe he got busted for selling marijuana a few blocks away from Los Al's campus. He had all the talent in the world, but didn't have the heart, right mindset.

Remember him well.  Los Al was LEGIT back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

There is more to that story.

In the mid 90's Mater Dei beat Los Al in a huge playoff game at  the Big A.

After the game when the Los Al players were on the bus ready to leave the stadium, a MD booster climbs in, looks at all the Los Al players and says "I just wanted to see what a bunch of losers looked like".

After the 2002 championship you referred to, Los Al coach Barnes climbs into the Los Al bus after the game and says, " I just wanted to see what a bunch of WINNERS look like."

*Estes was senior transfer from Poly and set the tone on the opening kickoff by completely de cleating a MD player.  The game was over right then.

• Like 2