Some California news

Ararar

1 minute ago, Bodysurf said:

@Sammyswordsman

while tonight was a great night for Monarch fans I am saddened by the passing of a real coaching legend who coached against us for many years. #respect

Yep. Found out while at the game tonight.  Only fitting since he coached many great games at the Cerritos college field.  Was the winningest coach in Calif until Lad passed him.  The St. Paul family lost our leader, and a great coach and friend to us all.  We will miss him.

• Like 8

By any measure, this has been a banner season on the regional high school football front. 

A record four area programs will cap their seasons in CIF State championship games, starting Friday at Cerritos College in Norwalk when the region’s top two teams will be pulling for each other, and concluding Saturday when Rio Linda and Colfax host lower-division finales. 

Sierra Foothill League members Folsom and Del Oro will compete in the highest classification games left on the schedule after Mater Dei downed De La Salle 35-21 on Saturday night for the CIF State Open Division championship. 

Del Oro (13-1) plays Grace Brethren of Simi Valley (13-2) in the Division 2-AA final at 4 p.m., followed by the Division I-AA final between Folsom (13-1) and Cathedral Catholic of San Diego (12-1).

Cathedral Catholic is familiar with Sac-Joaquin Section teams. The Dons went 14-0 in 2008 and beat St. Mary’s of Stockton 37-34 in the Division II state final, and they went 15-0 in 2016 and downed St. Mary’s 38-35 in overtime in the Division 1-AA championship. 

Cathedral Catholic lost to Folsom 55-10 in a 2014 season opener and fell at Del Oro 22-12 in a 2017 opener. The Dons lost their opener this season to La Costa Canyon of Carlsbad 19-7 but have rolled since with a balanced offense. 

Folsom is a pass-heavy team, a staple for teams that have won four CIF State titles this decade, including a 16-0 showing last season. Sixteen starters are back from that team, headed by quarterback Kaiden Bennett, who has accounted for 15 touchdowns in his last two games in delivering knockout blows to unbeaten Monterey Trail in the Sac-Joaquin Section final and unbeaten Central of Fresno in the NorCal championship Friday. 

Del Oro is in its fifth CIF State final this decade and seeks its second title in three seasons - and first under second-year coach Jeff Walters, who played at Del Oro and got his coaching start there. 

The Golden Eagles have pulled off dramatic last-minute victories to win section and NorCal championships, downing Central Catholic of Modesto 20-17 and Saint Francis of Mountain View 14-13. 

Del Oro’s tough defense - headed by Dawson Hurst, Johnny Guzman, Tatuo Martinson, Charlie Rogers, Dante Pericin and Carson Westlake - will be tested by a Grace Brethren offense that has amassed 4,556 rushing yards and 56 touchdowns, including 2,326 and 33 from Lontrelle Diggs.

Rio Linda (12-2) has never hosted a state championship in any sport, nor has it even competed in one. 

The Knights welcome San Gorgonio of San Bernardino (12-3) in the Division 5-AA game. Cameron Skattebo has rushed for 3,157 yards and 39 touchdowns for Rio Linda, one of three area backs to rush for 3,000 or more yards in a season. 

San Gorgonio is balanced with Jordan Pachot passing for 4,084 yards and 37 touchdowns and Elijah Hall rushing for 2,210 and 28.

Colfax (13-0) won CIF State Division III championships in girls basketball in 1983 and ‘84 and is in a football state final for the first time. It will host San Diego (11-2), which has lost just once on the field (a 42-19 season-opening victory was deemed a forfeit for unknowingly using an ineligible player). 

The Cavers have two 1,000-yard rushers in Raiden Hunter and Mo Jackson, who have combined for 33 touchdowns. Colfax is led by Alex Weir, who has passed for 2,562 yards and 38 touchdowns - 14 to Jake Green and 12 to Colton Reeves.

15 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I/we bitch and complain about the SoCal transfer train, but at the end of the day, I’ll take how DLS does business any day. And one day, ONE day, we’ll get them again. And it’ll feel like a state championship again.

The very first SBG Canyon didn’t have a recruited up team. They had 2 losses and did what no team in NoCal still hasn’t done. Spank DLS

Cif has set up these bowl games so NoCal can win some of them and feel equal. 

NoCal crying is getting pretty pathetic 

45 minutes ago, Bestcoast said:

The very first SBG Canyon didn’t have a recruited up team. They had 2 losses and did what no team in NoCal still hasn’t done. Spank DLS

Cif has set up these bowl games so NoCal can win some of them and feel equal. 

NoCal crying is getting pretty pathetic 

Great point. I’m not taking anything away from Canyon. That was one of my favorite SoCal teams. Great coach and solid players that rose to the occasion against a little better than ok DLS team. DLS admittedly has an advantage in NorCal. But DLS doesn’t abuse that advantage like certain SoCal teams do.

You’re preaching to the choir. I hate the way it’s set up for the bowl games. 

Meh. Not pathetic. Just justifiable frustration/disappointment. Whether you want to admit it or not, NorCal doesn’t subscribe to the SoCal way of doing things. SoCal already has more better teams, so the transfer train model doesn’t makes sense for us when it comes to the rivalry. But whatever. You keep puffing your chest though if it makes ya feel good.👍

1 minute ago, Blueliner said:

Great point. I’m not taking anything away from Canyon. That was one of my favorite SoCal teams. Great coach and solid players that rose to the occasion against a little better than ok DLS team. DLS admittedly has an advantage in NorCal. But DLS doesn’t abuse that advantage like certain SoCal teams do.

You’re preaching to the choir. I hate the way it’s set up for the bowl games. 

Meh. Not pathetic. Just justifiable frustration/disappointment. Whether you want to admit it or not, NorCal doesn’t subscribe to the SoCal way of doing things. SoCal already has more better teams, so the transfer train model doesn’t makes sense for us when it comes to the rivalry. But whatever. You keep puffing your chest though if it makes ya feel good.👍

🤷🏽‍♂️ I feel great 🍾

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ararar said:

🤷🏽‍♂️ I feel great 🍾

You should! It is what it is, brother. The SoCal champ beat Cen10, ImG, DLs, BG, and SJB. Doesn’t get much tougher than that. 

We’ll get back one day. Things have way of coming full circle. I’m rewatching the Open right now. MD is really really good. But DLS isn’t that far off. To oto o is clearly limping around and it’s still the first quarter. Tough break for DLS. 

Congrats to a very talented MD team. 

19 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

You should! It is what it is, brother. The SoCal champ beat Cen10, ImG, DLs, BG, and SJB. Doesn’t get much tougher than that. 

We’ll get back one day. Things have way of coming full circle. I’m rewatching the Open right now. MD is really really good. But DLS isn’t that far off. To oto o is clearly limping around and it’s still the first quarter. Tough break for DLS. 

Congrats to a very talented MD team. 

I predicted at NCP that Hale would win the open championship before he’s done 

• Like 1

Just now, Eddyr2 said:

Where did #11 play feshman ball?

Sac High. He and his brother came to DLS after his freshman year. Been here for 3 full years with immediate family in Pittsburg. All’s we need is 20 more Henrys and we’ll be in the ballpark to compete....if that’s what you’re getting at. 

Look. Im good with the transfer train in SoCal. It is what it is.To each his own. It just doesn’t happen here. So I guess we’d better just get used to losing the Open every year....at least for the foreseeable future.

6 minutes ago, Ararar said:

I predicted at NCP that Hale would win the open championship before he’s done 

I saw that. Your optimism and recognition of his talent is appreciated. Not sure that’ll be the case though. MD and SJB both are going to be filthy for the foreseeable future.  We can only hope, though! I do like that MD and SJB go out and play the best with that talent...unlike a certain team in NorCal not named DLS. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The devil has 3 open weeks to choose from to step up.  Will they?  Hope Consuela is not working for Richardson now.

No Chance... The Paper Tiger Plays DLS in week 3 so no way they go Back to Back CC and DLS.... The only Public School in Ca that would do something like that is Centennial, the #1 Public in Ca Because "We will Play Anyone"....

If Folsom steps up it will be with a team like Oaks Christian who would Travel to Folsom... Folsom would play them because they can daisy chain 'We Hung 70" on Chaminade and Oaks only "Hung 30", Folsom would believe that they can actually beat Oaks and "Hang Whatever" on them...

Folsom doesn't schedule teams they think they will lose to other then DLS... Folsom only Schedules DLS because Folsom has nothing to Lose with DLS, If they beat them they are #1 in Nor Cal, If the Loose they are the King of 1-AA.... 

A Folsom loss to CC proves that they are nothing more the a Great 1-AA CA team... Folsom doesn't want that....

Besides did you see that Central team Put up 46 Points on that Awful Folsom Defense?... That team looked like CC moving in slow motion... CC would Hang 100 on Folsom... And Folsom would be lucky to score 21 on CC... CC's Defense held MD to 20 Points... CC is a whole different speed then what Folsom is used to...