The Top 10 H.S. Football Dynasties since 03!!!

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

Trinity was Preseason #1 in 2008. They beat Cedar Hill and Allen the next 2 weeks. They stayed #1 nationally until losing to Allen in the playoffs. Allen won state.

I still say that was one of Trinity's best teams. Had 8 or 9 D1s and some major beef.

I agree the 08 team was good, but I would put the 06 team that lost to SLC as the best non championship team for Trinity. They had Carroll beat minus the fake punt. With around 2 or 3 minutes to go, Trinity had held SLC to 16pts who at the time was averaging almost 50pts a game. Had Trinity punted, I think the defense would of held the 50 or 60yrds needed to score. It still took SLC almost the 2 or 3 minutes left to get the 30yrds after the fake punt to score the game winner. Win this game and they take another title. The 2010 team(#1 nationally) in championship vs Pearland was bad game planning having the Brandon Carter show. Run the damn ball and we win. Trinity has left some titles on the field they could of won. Lineweaver gambled at times and some worked and some didn't work. Last year exceeded expectations and surprised a lot of us. This year, the expectations are high. A good team is returning some key starters and the district got weaker in realignment.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

We haven't heard any Texas guys on here talking about some new school opening up 2 miles from Katy and the rules dictating that a new line be drawn and X number of students are now in the new district like happens in Atlanta. Not saying it doesn't, but it doesn't seem to be an issue in the time allotted for this dynasty rating. 

I'd be interested to hear from them about this. 

Since 2000 Katy ISD has had 5 high schools open, 3 were south of I-10 & 2 north of I-10. (In case your wondering Katy pulls from both N & S of I-10).  2 of these school openings have drawn a significant number of students from Katy (Cinco Ranch & Morton Ranch), as well as some numbers with Paetow (latest school) opening.  Seven Lakes & Tompkins not so much.

Katy is an anomaly as far as football dynasties in Texas.  Most of the schools listed are from single HS ISDs.  Katy ISD has 8 high schools, with plans to have a total of 10 HS.  This rating only goes back to 2003, but most say the Katy dynasty started in 1986.  1985 was the last year Katy had a losing season.  It really goes back a few years earlier, when Mike Johnston was hired as the head coach, and Gary Joseph as his DC.  Coach Joseph took over in 2004, and I would expect Katy will continue to be a dynasty in Texas at least until he retires.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BevoBo said:

I agree the 08 team was good, but I would put the 06 team that lost to SLC as the best non championship team for Trinity. They had Carroll beat minus the fake punt. With around 2 or 3 minutes to go, Trinity had held SLC to 16pts who at the time was averaging almost 50pts a game. Had Trinity punted, I think the defense would of held the 50 or 60yrds needed to score. It still took SLC almost the 2 or 3 minutes left to get the 30yrds after the fake punt to score the game winner. Win this game and they take another title. The 2010 team(#1 nationally) in championship vs Pearland was bad game planning having the Brandon Carter show. Run the damn ball and we win. Trinity has left some titles on the field they could of won. Lineweaver gambled at times and some worked and some didn't work. Last year exceeded expectations and surprised a lot of us. This year, the expectations are high. A good team is returning some key starters and the district got weaker in realignment.

A lot of us were watching this game and couldn't believe that Trinity didn't punt the ball.

34 minutes ago, Shellback said:

Since 2000 Katy ISD has had 5 high schools open, 3 were south of I-10 & 2 north of I-10. (In case your wondering Katy pulls from both N & S of I-10).  2 of these school openings have drawn a significant number of students from Katy (Cinco Ranch & Morton Ranch), as well as some numbers with Paetow (latest school) opening.  Seven Lakes & Tompkins not so much.

Katy is an anomaly as far as football dynasties in Texas.  Most of the schools listed are from single HS ISDs.  Katy ISD has 8 high schools, with plans to have a total of 10 HS.  This rating only goes back to 2003, but most say the Katy dynasty started in 1986.  1985 was the last year Katy had a losing season.  It really goes back a few years earlier, when Mike Johnston was hired as the head coach, and Gary Joseph as his DC.  Coach Joseph took over in 2004, and I would expect Katy will continue to be a dynasty in Texas at least until he retires.

Thanks. I suspected this to be the case during the debate last night. 

It requires a few stars to align in order to be a dynasty for that long. Especially  in a public school dominant state with transfer rules in place. Coaching stability, feeder system etc. 

This is actually an interesting subject to debate because there are distinct differences in advantages that show up in order to keep a school at the top of their state for long enough to make the criteria to fit on this list. 

Katy has obviously benefitted from having that coaching stability in a talent rich area in such fashion that the expansion schools haven't hindered their ability to remain at the top. 

Schools like Grayson in Georgia haven't seen the same coaching stability which due to continuity in their schemes and systems, sets them back on the criteria to make this list. A school like Colquitt is climbing in the list because of coaching stability and player development. 

Of course we all understand how most of the private schools manage to make the list. 

9 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Thanks. I suspected this to be the case during the debate last night. 

It requires a few stars to align in order to be a dynasty for that long. Especially  in a public school dominant state with transfer rules in place. Coaching stability, feeder system etc. 

This is actually an interesting subject to debate because there are distinct differences in advantages that show up in order to keep a school at the top of their state for long enough to make the criteria to fit on this list. 

Katy has obviously benefitted from having that coaching stability in a talent rich area in such fashion that the expansion schools haven't hindered their ability to remain at the top. 

Schools like Grayson in Georgia haven't seen the same coaching stability which sets them back on the criteria to make this list. A school like Colquitt is climbing in the list because of coaching stability and player development. 

Of course we all understand how most of the private schools manage to make the list. 

Absolutely agree, coaching stability has been the key for Katy, and by and large the key for a successful program.

Lake Travis on the other hand is an exception in that during their 5 yr state winning streak they did it with 3 different coaches, I think?  As you state, interesting subject to debate.

47 minutes ago, Shellback said:

Absolutely agree, coaching stability has been the key for Katy, and by and large the key for a successful program.

Lake Travis on the other hand is an exception in that during their 5 yr state winning streak they did it with 3 different coaches, I think?  As you state, interesting subject to debate.

So what special sauce is Lake Travis having that others don't then? 

There has to be some distinct advantage that allows them to stay up at the top. Are they a single school district? Coaching staying within the same tree so to speak? When one coach leaves, is it an assistant that's been there forever taking the reigns? Etc. 

2 hours ago, BevoBo said:

Agree 100%

54 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

So what special sauce is Lake Travis having that others don't then? 

There has to be some distinct advantage that allows them to stay up at the top. Are they a single school district? Coaching staying within the same tree so to speak? When one coach leaves, is it an assistant that's been there forever taking the reigns? Etc. 

They have promoted from within and are a one HS town.  The school is not exactly small either, about 3100 students, so their player pool is bigger than avg. 

• Like 1

LT is a single school district, and the community is affluent; not as affluent as neighboring Westlake, or SLC, or others though.  Hank Carter is the 3rd coach from those 5 consecutive SC years, and has been the HC since 2010.  I think he was promoted from within, someone can correct me if wrong. 

The last few years their success has been in large part due to the usual ingredients; coaching, community & student buy-in, area talent, etc.  Area growth has also played some part in their success.  Since 2007 they have grown from a 4A-DII school (5A-DII by todays classifications), to a 6A-DI school with over 3000 students (79th largest school in the state).  Certainly not the biggest factor, but it does play a role.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nptb17 said:

A lot of us were watching this game and couldn't believe that Trinity didn't punt the ball.

honestly at the time I hated the call. But yrs later  I STILL hate that damn call. Funny thing is a few yrs later coach saved our bacon calling a fake punt inside our own 30, against RRSTP. Great when it works, but that one against the blondes still hurts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shellback said:

Sir where did you cross the equator and what year did you become a Shellback?  Old Marine here initiated from a lowly pollywog to Shellback in 1991.  USS OKINAWA LPH-3 Mombassa, Kenya. 

22 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Sir where did you cross the equator and what year did you become a Shellback?  Old Marine here initiated from a lowly pollywog to Shellback in 1991.  USS OKINAWA LPH-3 Mombassa, Kenya. 

Oct 1990, taking the Abraham Lincoln CVN-72 from Norfolk to her new home in San Fran.  Had to go around S.A. horn because it would not fit through the canal.  That was my 1st dep as a young wog.  I did 2 cruises and all the workups on the Lincoln, assigned to squadron VAQ-135.

Were you on your way to Mogadishu then?  We likely crossed paths (albeit distant paths) that summer.

Sorry got cruises confused.  Mogadishu would have been in 93.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shellback said:

Oct 1990, taking the Abraham Lincoln CVN-72 from Norfolk to her new home in San Fran.  Had to go around S.A. horn because it would not fit through the canal.  That was my 1st dep as a young wog.  I did 2 cruises and all the workups on the Lincoln, assigned to squadron VAQ-135.

Were you on your way to Mogadishu then?  We likely crossed paths (albeit distant paths) that summer.

No sir I was on Port Call in Mombassa and also went to Perth, Australia.  Strange I know for West Coast Marines in East Africa but Desert Storm screwed that up.  I was with the 13th MEU the 1st West Coast Marines to arrive in the  Gulf.  Spent 3 years at NOB Norfolk,  attached to CincLantFlt and for a while thought they were gonna put me on the Mount Whitney.  I missed Somalia and pretty happy about that.  Small world another Shellback.  I still think I have 2 round holes in my knees from that ceremony.  🤣 It was 1992 when the Marines stormed Mogadishu.  Outstanding.  Not trying to change the subject of the Thread. Long live King Neptune and Royal Court.  Did 2 WestPacs to the Gulf total 16 Months Blue Water time.   I felt like a Sailor for 2 years of my life I was at Sea so much. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Shellback said:

LT is a single school district, and the community is affluent; not as affluent as neighboring Westlake, or SLC, or others though.  Hank Carter is the 3rd coach from those 5 consecutive SC years, and has been the HC since 2010.  I think he was promoted from within, someone can correct me if wrong. 

The last few years their success has been in large part due to the usual ingredients; coaching, community & student buy-in, area talent, etc.  Area growth has also played some part in their success.  Since 2007 they have grown from a 4A-DII school (5A-DII by todays classifications), to a 6A-DI school with over 3000 students (79th largest school in the state).  Certainly not the biggest factor, but it does play a role.

Coach Dicus left after the 1st SC in 2007 and he got things going over the 5 yrs he was there 2003-2007 from a 0-10 2002 & 1-9 2001 he went on to Duncanville. Dicus is the one who got the indoor field and million $ 9000 sqf plus weigh room and the players to believe in the program

Coach Chad Morris (2008-9)  stepped it up with 2 Lake Travis's  SC with his offense of mind. He was the HC of Eustace Fields taking them to the Class 2A title game in 1998 and ’99. HC Bay City (3a) when they won a SC before going to Stephenville , most of the staff followed him to LT with one coach OLC traveling over 200 miles back and forth for many years since he did not want to sell his house. Morris went on to be OC at  The University of Tulsa / making 320k then to Clemson 1.3 million/HC SMU and now is now Arkansas head coach...A great guy who always stops by LT

Hank Carter was a HS QB when Morris was HC at Carters  Eustace Fields HS and joined Morris after college at Eustace Fields as a DC, then to Bay City, Stephenville and Lake Travis. Carter is a defense guru and has turned down many college jobs (Morris included) to stay at LT.and took over as AD/HC after Morris.He also has one of if not the highest winning percentage in Tx and also I think the highest paid HC....WE LIKE HIM! 

On 7/28/2018 at 6:52 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

Not at all. IMO there's no other way to know how good a team like Allen (and the entire state of TX for that matter) REALLY is without being able to compare their OOS wins vs the OOS wins of other comparable "elite" teams. A few years back IMG, BG and Liberty NV all proved that the state was not THAT and may be overrated in this modern-age of hsfb. Not questioning the pomp and circumstance of TX hsfb, it's the best. Just that there's no better proof than OOS wins vs other Top 100 teams. And TX has one good win in the last five years (DLS). 

Do you have clue of how many state champs we have beaten?

ImG beat 6 win Desoto

BG -didn’t that same team that beat CH beat the best in Cali?  CH was not the best in Texas

Liberty got nice win vs team that didn’t have their D1 QB 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Texasball said:

Do you have clue of how many state champs we have beaten?

ImG beat 6 win Desoto

BG -didn’t that same team that beat CH beat the best in Cali?  CH was not the best in Texas

Liberty got nice win vs team that didn’t have their D1 QB 

When you can shrug off having one of your top teams get smoked at home by a non-BG NV team, your skin is officially rawhide tough 

Maybe forgetting about Bishop Amat was the key

1 hour ago, Pops said:

When you can shrug off having one of your top teams get smoked at home by a non-BG NV team, your skin is officially rawhide tough 

Maybe forgetting about Bishop Amat was the key

What’s even funnier is that Texasball used to shout about how great Aledo was regularly.Steeler would tell him what an idiot he was😂 that Aledo was nothing special and then the Amat game happened and suddenly Texasball no longer tells about Aledo greatness 😂

• Haha 1