MD 35 - DLS 21 (F)

DLS_Spartan

5 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I’ll withhold judgement on Lakekand until I watch  film.   I will give you credit for pushing them and being correct.  Why didn’t the coach get them a better schedule?

He had a pretty good non-district schedule on paper. Manatee has had nationally elite teams in recent years, and has been a longtime rival of Lakeland. Apopka has played multiple OOS games against nationally elite programs and has won state championships, and their coach played for Bill Castle. Both of those games make plenty of sense and more than respectable options. You just don't know much about them so it doesn't mean anything to you. 

East Lake has a proud history and made it to the state semifinals twice in 2013 and 2014, losing to Dwyer and STA. 

"The coach" had Lakeland vying for state championships before most here were born. He's done it forty-three (43) years. He's won over 430 games, seven state titles, a couple mythical national titles...he doesn't give a shit what you, Ned, or any other message board tool thinks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, On2whls said:

That number seems a little low based on what I saw, but I certainly wasn’t counting.

I’m not a fan of the 8pm start.  I left immediately after the game, had no traffic worries, hustled a bit on the freeway, and only had 40mi ride home.  Still, it was an after midnight arrival.  I’ll bet more people would go if it was something like a 5pm start.

Yea it sucks. Ours will be 830 or 9pm I would guess. Then that drive back to south Ga out of Atl.

20 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Mater Dei lost a game 41-18. They don't automatically -without beating them on the field- get to definitively claim they're better than a 15-0 champ from a top 3 state. The team they lost 41-18 to, SJB, lost to a STA team vastly inferior than this year's STA team. Doesn't mean anything certain for this season, but does make it VERY difficult for anyone to credibly claim SJB is just automatically-without proving it on the field-better than that 15-0 team which beat STA by two toudchdowns. "Vegas" can favor whoever they would, California homers can do the same. But, in a just, reasonable world, we'd have to leave this business unfinished. You don't *know* shit. Neither does Ned's algorithm.

You had your chance to play in a national game but punked out...uh...respectably declined

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, badrouter said:

He had a pretty good non-district schedule on paper. Manatee has had nationally elite teams in recent years, and has been a longtime rival of Lakeland. Apopka has played multiple OOS games against nationally elite programs and has won state championships, and their coach played for Bill Castle. Both of those games make plenty of sense and more than respectable options. You just don't know much about them so it doesn't mean anything to you. 

East Lake has a proud history and made it to the state semifinals twice in 2013 and 2014, losing to Dwyer and STA.

This is all lame excuse-making for a decades or more track record of crappy and purposefully bad scheduling.

Manatee has stunk since Kinnan retired in 2013. Scheduling them in 2017-18 is nothing.

Apopka the best program that Lakeland has purposefully scheduled since DLS in 2009 and they went 8-4 and lost in the second round of the playoffs both years.

Unless you played East Lake in 2013-14 then scheduling them any other time is weak.

5 minutes ago, Ararar said:

You had your chance to play in a national game but punked out...uh...respectably declined

Dont lie. You aren't a reliable source on here. You have a creepy agenda. 

Attention everyone- ignore this dude. Same guy googles relentlessly all day to find bizarre sources to support his SoCal agenda. Dude also trolls the NorCal forums with the same spam. 

Just ignore him. He isnt reliable and is pushing an agenda. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, badrouter said:

"The coach" had Lakeland vying for state championships before most here were born. He's done it forty-three (43) years. He's won over 430 games, seven state titles, a couple mythical national titles...he doesn't give a shit what you, Ned, or any other message board tool thinks.

I love the defensiveness here.

Of course none of this has anything to do with the issue.

Castle being old, being around for a long time, winning a bunch of meaningless games, and not giving a shit has nothing to do with why he schedules purposefully bad opponents.

2 minutes ago, Ararar said:

What the fuck is STA? They're not "national"? So fucking stupid. Beating Colquitt or whoever means nothing. Literally nothing. Kids have been playing since August, early signing day is coming up etc. And, just because I'm here arguing with you all doesn't mean anyone actually involved with the program gives a shit about national rankings or national message boards. Lakeland beat STA, and by two touchdowns. SJB lost to a lesser STA team just last year. There's plenty of uncertainty over whether anyone is definitively better than the other. Unless you're a clueless, delusional homer who's not watched a second of game footage.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I would agree.  Fla. has more Tier 2 teams than any state with the possible exception of Texad 

The tiers you make up in your own head have no meaning.

Florida has some private recruiting factories as well: STA, AM Heritage, IMG, Bolles, Trinity Christian, etc.

Let's look at depth. Besides those teams, in the last 15 years, Florida has fielded teams that in some years, not every year, are competitive on the highest national level. Miami Central, BTW, Carol City, Miami Northwestern, Manatee, Lakeland, Apopka, Armwood, Plant, Dr. Phillips, Lincoln, Cocoa, etc. This is because of depth and quality over most of the state. And we don't have the facilities of a lot of places and still field great teams year in and year out.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sarp said:

Why did it start so late? Since it was the only game shouldn't they have been able to start at a more normal time?

No kidding! Don’t try to make sense of some of the things that CIF State does or else you will go bonkers. There is no reason why it couldn’t have started 7 Pm instead of 8. Especially since this was a Saturday and you don’t have to worry about rush hour traffic and logistics. And there were no other games competing with it either. Just a ridiculous decision by CIF state to start that late.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

badrouter piling on completely irrelevant points and dismissing totally relevant ones like SOS and scheduling in general.

There's no credible way to rate SOS in high school football. Especially when trying to compare teams from different states. But, even within the same state it is very difficult to get an accurate read. People throw around their numbers and ratings of choice, yet it is all still meaningless. 

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

People throw around their numbers and ratings of choice, yet it is all still meaningless. 

I think we can all agree that if you write a check to bus-in Cooper City and South Broward then you're schedule sucks.

If the best team you played in the regular season is 8-4 Apopka, then your schedule sucks.

If your semifinal opponent is Edgewater, then your schedule sucks.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nptb17 said:

I had to check out when it was 28 to 7.  Looks like it got a little more interesting.

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

Little closer than I thought it woukd be......final score anyways.

Was closer than I thought — DLS had the ball, down 7 with 4 minutes left having scored TDs on previous 2 drives before lost fumble #4 (or 5?)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

There's no credible way to rate SOS in high school football. Especially when trying to compare teams from different states. But, even within the same state it is very difficult to get an accurate read. People throw around their numbers and ratings of choice, yet it is all still meaningless. 

Congrats to Lakeland on a great season —. Not sure if it’s over or whether you’re in Geico 

let me say this — I understand how if you’re team is undefeated and you beat STA by a couple of TDs, that you can come to a place like this and say “why not us?”

However, there are super obvious comparison tools that even if one were to view thru muddy glasses would separate the weight of accomplishment between the top teams and Lakeland.  STA for sure is a legit and weighty win — look how it shot you up the poll,  but it’s the only result in your schedule that 100+ teams around the country wouldn’t have been expected to equal or exceed 

great season but if Lakeland wants in the MNC conversation, they need to schedule up and that’s neither wrong nor unfair 

it does help to be noticed or to contend the year prior so that’s set up 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pops said:

Was closer than I thought — DLS had the ball, down 7 with 4 minutes left having scored TDs on previous 2 drives before lost fumble #4 (or 5?)

Not to detract from DLS good defensive effort, but this was a case where the score didnt really tell the story.  DLS scores were due to 3 big plays, ironically two 5 yd passes that turned into big plays and good field position due to blocked punt.  

The run game just wasn’t there and not because DLS doesn’t know how to do that.  The MD (and SJB) defenses are now at the level of DLS but those programs can air it out more consistently.

DLS is going to need to become a more balanced attack to win the title going forward.  Consider that the fumbles (always a possibility with the high number of exchanges) were a major factor two years running.  

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Not to detract from DLS good defensive effort, but this was a case where the score didnt really tell the story.  DLS scores were due to 3 big plays, ironically two 5 yd passes that turned into big plays and good field position due to blocked punt.  

The run game just wasn’t there and not because DLS doesn’t know how to do that.  The MD (and SJB) defenses are now at the level of DLS but those programs can air it out more consistently.

DLS is going to need to become a more balanced attack to win the title going forward.  Consider that the fumbles (always a possibility with the high number of exchanges) were a major factor two years running.  

DLS had negative rushing yards late in the game. Did they finish with negagtive yards?

3 hours ago, badrouter said:

Mater Dei lost a game 41-18. They don't automatically -without beating them on the field- get to definitively claim they're better than a 15-0 champ from a top 3 state. The team they lost 41-18 to, SJB, lost to a STA team vastly inferior than this year's STA team. Doesn't mean anything certain for this season, but does make it VERY difficult for anyone to credibly claim SJB is just automatically-without proving it on the field-better than that 15-0 team which beat STA by two toudchdowns. "Vegas" can favor whoever they would, California homers can do the same. But, in a just, reasonable world, we'd have to leave this business unfinished. You don't *know* shit. Neither does Ned's algorithm.

That's why we have the comp poll, so it can be used to show who is truly ranked where, rather than only using calpreps. @dntn31 is nice enough to share it here every week and is pinned at the top. Check it out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, badrouter said:

What the fuck is STA? They're not "national"? So fucking stupid. Beating Colquitt or whoever means nothing. Literally nothing. Kids have been playing since August, early signing day is coming up etc. And, just because I'm here arguing with you all doesn't mean anyone actually involved with the program gives a shit about national rankings or national message boards. Lakeland beat STA, and by two touchdowns. SJB lost to a lesser STA team just last year. There's plenty of uncertainty over whether anyone is definitively better than the other. Unless you're a clueless, delusional homer who's not watched a second of game footage.

MD is the Cali state champ and most likely MNC comp champion. Not sure why you keep trying to bring SJB into it. They beat MD during regular season and MD beat them in the playoffs. If your beef is with calpreps, then checkout the comp poll and see what the other polls think. Since yall are state champs, then you will get your say so in the GEICO game. Then we can have a good comparison other than bringing up last years STA vs SJB game.