NorCal poster says

Ararar

7 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

I know these coaches are competitive, thus they will take on almost any challenge. A loss won't really hurt them imop, because expectations won't be really high, and they should gain a lot of experience from it, plus the added bonus of lighting a fire  underneath the asses of the players to motivate their workouts and preparation in offseason.  But you know and I know, it is an impossibility to have the veer up and running effectively  with all new o-lineman . The turnover at defense really concerns me, especially the back seven. They always have problems with  learning that zone defense, especially with new guys. 

All good points.  STA, from what I have seen- which isn't much, does not spread the field with taking shots down field much.  A lot of wr screens and short routes so that may help shorten the field on D for DLS and take a little pressure off.  

That veer is going to struggle against what I assume will be a standard STA front 7.  Big and athletic with great tackling and speed is a great recipe for the veer.  Maybe DLS will try to spread them out a bit and play the run off that.  STA is too fast to get to the edge on so sweeps probably won't work.  How does one attack the STA D with the DLS system?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

All good points.  STA, from what I have seen- which isn't much, does not spread the field with taking shots down field much.  A lot of wr screens and short routes so that may help shorten the field on D for DLS and take a little pressure off.  

That veer is going to struggle against what I assume will be a standard STA front 7.  Big and athletic with great tackling and speed is a great recipe for the veer.  Maybe DLS will try to spread them out a bit and play the run off that.  STA is too fast to get to the edge on so sweeps probably won't work.  How does one attack the STA D with the DLS system?  

Wear them down with veer.  As great as STA talent was on that 2011 defense, they seemed vulnerable against run. I think it was Pratville who they played the game before Dela, and Pratville gained huge amounts on the ground against them. I could see in Dela's  last meeting in 2011 that they had great possibilities of that happening because they seemed to be able to run. But those 4 turnovers completely derailed that, and getting behind meant they didn't have luxury of time in allowing the wear down to take effect. This is 2019 though, and STA may be a whole new brand of D, run stopping being one of them. So really, I have no Idea how to answer the question you threw out there, only guesses. I do know Dela has a stud rb from JV's whom I heard from one of the Jv coaches comparing him to a D.J. Williams. This Dela team could be reminiscent of the 2007 team where they were extremely skilled and efficient at the skill positions, and team overall, yet lacking in great lines. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Perfect timing.

DLS graduates their entire front 7 on defense, including their 4-star DE and their 5-star LB, and both corners.

And they graduate 4 of their 5 offensive linemen. 

I can't wait to see how the veer option functions in week 0 (is it week 0?) with 4 new linemen against STA's front 7 or 8 or 9. 

Maybe DLS can develop a Cen10-style spread offense over the summer. 

Well, they decided to take SJB's game.

7 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Perfect timing.

DLS graduates their entire front 7 on defense, including their 4-star DE and their 5-star LB, and both corners.

I can't wait to see how the veer option functions in week 0 (is it week 0?) with 4 new linemen against STA's front 7 or 8 or 9. 

So, DLS trending ... down?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

I thought I recalled @Blueliner saying DLS will be just as good next season as this past season. Def far better on offense.

Maybe he was jumping the gun?  

As I mentioned earlier, they will take a step back on defense. At least early on. 

Their LBs will obviously be tough to replace. But everywhere else it'll be comprable...just a little less experience. But DLS goes through this just about every year. Nothing new. 

I predict the front 7 will look like this: DE Seastrand 6-3 245, DT Roe 6-0 280, DT Tasi 6-1 270, DE J Puckett 6-1 225. LB Hackett 6-0 200, LB NorFleet 6-0 200, the 3rd backer and Spartan are open in my opinion. 

3 of the 4 DBs will be excellent: Hearns, Garrett, Daley (likely). Spartan is open as o said.

The offense is gonna be sick. Very dynamic. We all know the skill positions are solid. The OL has 3 players returning that started or logged significant PT along the line. 

The JVs are sending up a boatload of talented kids as well. Can't wait for them to come to Folsom as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Perfect timing.

BB,

Sparty will be alright. They'll have a strong squad next year despite the graduations. They're gonna have to grind and work hard over the summer. 'Baugh wouldn't take this game if he didn't think they could get it done. Goons be cool.

Have faith my brutha.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

It's a complete rebuild basically, with exception to skill players on offense. From what I have heard, and again it may not be totally reliable, is that the incoming prospects for O-line will not be as good as this past season. I'm almost positive the defense will be down, and maybe a lot for all I know. Early in season is going to be a struggle, but it seems the coaches wanted the game with STA. These coaches could care less what the opinion is on the board about their win loss oos etc. Their main objective always is to prepare team for the long run, getting to SBG Open and giving them a chance to win there. The only hope I see in a game of the magnitude of an STA, especially the opener, is that it will be STA's first game also, and hopefully they won't be at mid season form.

Respectfully, you are incorrect. DLS has 2-3 lineman from the JVs that they're pretty high on. The LBs are my concern. But other than that I'm pretty much agree with your post. This is going to be a monumental task. 

2 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Respectfully, you are incorrect. DLS has 2-3 lineman from the JVs that they're pretty high on. The LBs are my concern. But other than that I'm pretty much agree with your post. This is going to be a monumental task. 

I like your positivity. I saw the jv's  I think once last season and I didn't see any big lineman. I know they had a freshman starting who they had high hopes, and I do know they have another big kid ( he may be of the Tagaloa clan ) who played only b-ball this season but will play football in fall. But if the coaches are pumped up about the team, than so am I.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 3:02 AM, CaliNorth said:

I like your positivity. I saw the jv's  I think once last season and I didn't see any big lineman. I know they had a freshman starting who they had high hopes, and I do know they have another big kid ( he may be of the Tagaloa clan ) who played only b-ball this season but will play football in fall. But if the coaches are pumped up about the team, than so am I.

Remember. At DLS, they don't have to be big. I personally like a 250-260 ish OL that is aggressive(tough), can move around the line of scrimmage, and get to the next level. I do realize that recipe's getting tougher with so many DLs getting so big and athletic....STA

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Wear them down with veer.  As great as STA talent was on that 2011 defense, they seemed vulnerable against run. I think it was Pratville who they played the game before Dela, and Pratville gained huge amounts on the ground against them. I could see in Dela's  last meeting in 2011 that they had great possibilities of that happening because they seemed to be able to run. But those 4 turnovers completely derailed that, and getting behind meant they didn't have luxury of time in allowing the wear down to take effect. This is 2019 though, and STA may be a whole new brand of D, run stopping being one of them. So really, I have no Idea how to answer the question you threw out there, only guesses. I do know Dela has a stud rb from JV's whom I heard from one of the Jv coaches comparing him to a D.J. Williams. This Dela team could be reminiscent of the 2007 team where they were extremely skilled and efficient at the skill positions, and team overall, yet lacking in great lines. 

One thing to remember about that 2011 Prattville  team was it was lo-ho-ho-hoaded.   If I recall correctly, they were the preseason #1 in just about every poll.  And, at the time, it was one of the very few times I saw a team take the field with more talent than STA.

I have to admit, my initial reaction to hearing about DLS/STA this year was about the same as @Belly Bob's.  But, as @Belly Bob also pointed out, it might be too soon for an excuse thread...So I'll go with @Blueliner's optimism for now, but count on me to be skeptical about DLS's chances starting in about 6 months...

In any case, I'll plan to be there with @PrepGridiron on one side and eating Hot Tamales with @World Citizen on the other.  Should be fun.

Oh and @golfaddict1,  please remember our gentlemen's agreement to never to speak about 2011.  I can't handle the truth  😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

One thing to remember about that 2011 Prattville  team was it was lo-ho-ho-hoaded.   If I recall correctly, they were the preseason #1 in just about every poll.  And, at the time, it was one of the very few times I saw a team take the field with more talent than STA.

I have to admit, my initial reaction to hearing about DLS/STA this year was about the same as @Belly Bob's.  But, as @Belly Bob also pointed out, it might be too soon for an excuse thread...So I'll go with @Blueliner's optimism for now, but count on me to be skeptical about DLS's chances starting in about 6 months...

In any case, I'll plan to be there with @PrepGridiron on one side and eating Hot Tamales with @World Citizen on the other.  Should be fun.

Oh and @golfaddict1,  please remember our gentlemen's agreement to never to speak about 2011.  I can't handle the truth  😉

One of my fav posters.  OK let's make a deal... you post more often and I'll maintain composure :).  

I came across 3 free agency transactions so far.   

Jovan Ferguson  WR (who transferred from Carol City to STA last year) has transferred back to Carol City. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jovan-Ferguson-46051213/

Andy Garcia   OLB    AHP to STA  (for senior year)... had a Syracuse offer I believe last  year, picked up Vandy recently.   https://247sports.com/Player/Andy-Garcia-46047683/

Mar'Cellus Culbreath ll   DB  Coconut Creek to STA (current soph)   https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/mar-cellus-culbreath-226319   no 247 listing, Rivals shows a Nebraska offer.   

Slow start I know lol.   No 4 stars yet either... wtf!  :) 

Not worth discussing STA for awhile for obvious reasons, but they could have IMG/MD/SJB combined rosters and be stifled on O.   Their O playbook and execution at times can be for mature audiences only.   

• Like 3

On 1/8/2019 at 1:05 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

Mismatch.   SJB deserves a better team.  Even Folsom would be a step up from GC.  

1. SFA

2. SJC

3. Dematha

4. Gonzaga

5. Good Council 

good Council vs Servite would be a good game 

Don't sleep on GC in 19 ... They will be very very good ... 

2 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Brother I will be there I hope, with a charged phone and plenty of Hot Tamales.  Can't wait.  I got to hook up with @AztecPadre next time and can't believe I missed him last time.  Padre, you must go to the game.  Same for @Cossacks, @Blueliner, @1DayPGA, @NorCalRuss, @ThunderRam, @Cal 14, @CaliNorth and all the rest of you west coast brothers who I missed, hope to see you all.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

I was able to watch the end of the JV game and seen that rb play.  Very, very good looking rb, he really stood out and looked to be playing at a different speed.  If he stays healthy and stays in football the rb position looks very bright.  He will be a game changer and is a special athlete.  I don't know about the comparison to DJ Williams but from little I have seen of him he has a bright future.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I was able to watch the end of the JV game and seen that rb play.  Very, very good looking rb, he really stood out and looked to be playing at a different speed.  If he stays healthy and stays in football the rb position looks very bright.  He will be a game changer and is a special athlete.  I don't know about the comparison to DJ Williams but from little I have seen of him he has a bright future.  

What was the young man's name again?

• Haha 7

12 hours ago, Blueliner said:

As I mentioned earlier, they will take a step back on defense. At least early on. 

Their LBs will obviously be tough to replace. But everywhere else it'll be comprable...just a little less experience. But DLS goes through this just about every year. Nothing new. 

I predict the front 7 will look like this: DE Seastrand 6-3 245, DT Roe 6-0 280, DT Tasi 6-1 270, DE J Puckett 6-1 225. LB Hackett 6-0 200, LB NorFleet 6-0 200, the 3rd backer and Spartan are open in my opinion. 

3 of the 4 DBs will be excellent: Hearns, Garrett, Daley (likely). Spartan is open as o said.

The offense is gonna be sick. Very dynamic. We all know the skill positions are solid. The OL has 3 players returning that started or logged significant PT along the line. 

The JVs are sending up a boatload of talented kids as well. Can't wait for them to come to Folsom as well.

Excellent Post Brother!!!... Super Excited to see what DLS brings to the table next year!... Like you I am very Optimistic and cant wait to go to this game!.... :) 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Should also translate big time to the defense side of ball. Another great linebacker ?

38 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Excellent Post Brother!!!... Super Excited to see what DLS brings to the table next year!... Like you I am very Optimistic and cant wait to go to this game!.... :) 

Careful @THEOC89@Blueliner brings a lot of energy and enthusiasm to everything he does, and it can be pretty compelling, so it's easy to get caught up in his tractor beam...This is why you always have to remember that Blue is still the guy who was hyping Pittsburg before the start of this season...and he continued to hype Pittsburg even as they were going into OT with CVC..😱.😜

Seriously though, this should be a lot of fun...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

3 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Should also translate big time to the defense side of ball. Another great linebacker ?

That would be impressive considering DJ was starting on both sides as a soph. They definitely will need a good LB to replace 3yr. starter To'oto'o and Jhasi Wilson was also a very good LB this year his presence  will also be missed. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Careful @THEOC89@Blueliner brings a lot of energy and enthusiasm to everything he does, and it can be pretty compelling, so it's easy to get caught up in his tractor beam...This is why you always have to remember that Blue is still the guy who was hyping Pittsburg before the start of this season...and he continued to hype Pittsburg even as they were going into OT with CVC..😱.😜

Seriously though, this should be a lot of fun...

Ha!!!.... Forsure!!!... 🙂.... And don’t forget the Folsom Dudes gave him crap all year for telling them “Don’t Sleep On Jesuit.”...🙂

@Blueliner Is an Awesome dude!!!... I always have a blast with him watching sports and having some beers!!!!....🙂

Glad to see him posting his analysis on thid thread!!!.... His DLS knowledge is second to none!!!!

And you are right, win or lose, this will be Alot of fun for us fans!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

Ha!!!.... Forsure!!!... 🙂.... And don’t forget the Folsom Dudes gave him crap all year for telling them “Don’t Sleep On Jesuit.”...🙂

@Blueliner Is an Awesome dude!!!... I always have a blast with him watching sports and having some beers!!!!....🙂

Glad to see him posting his analysis on thid thread!!!.... His DLS knowledge is second to none!!!!

And you are right, win or lose, this will be Alot of fun for us fans!!!

He needs to work on his drinking game though! 

889A4C32-B299-4986-9BC4-010368F2C6D1.gif

• Haha 5