All time Best 3 Year Run - Finalists

Sammyswordsman

13 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Only bringing it up because you have a very limited frame of reference

NO, you bring it up because you think it gets you out of jam like the rest of the CA posters and DLS groupies. Very sad and telling truthfully.

Anyways, everything is recorded....people can go back and look at the "facts" if they choose too....if they don't they can roll with your version.

Later, dude. Keep up the great work.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Fact is you can't find 5 teams with better 3 year runs. 

Not just me saying it, most of the National ranking services agree.

Also Evangel Christian got converted when they came to play DLS.  Poor kids were shocked.

Not just the ranking services, pro/college coaches and athletes who saw extended film and live games all are amazed at there conditioning, toughness and execution. They arguably have to be the most documented and scrutinized HS football team in history but a few numbnuts on this board think they know better. 
Here’s a quote from John Madden,

“I was so interested in De La Salle High School’s football program and Coach Bob Ladouceur’s success that I found a way to get an advance copy of the book When the Game Stands Tall: The Story of the De La Salle Spartans and Football’s Longest Winning Streak by Neil Hayes back in 2003. My entire family read it.

We were so inspired that my son Joe and I decided to make a documentary about the program in order to share Ladouceur’s story of success with as many people as possible. The result was 151: The Greatest Streak, which aired on ESPN in 2004. Hollywood producer David Zelon was so impressed with Hayes’s book and our documentary that he made it his mission to make When the Game Stands Tall into a major motion picture in 2014, with Jim Caviezel, Michael Chiklis, Laura Dern and Alexander Ludwig starring.

In some ways, however, the story still wasn’t complete. Both the book, our documentary and the movie focused on the important life lessons such as commitment, dedication, responsibility and brotherhood that serve as the foundation of the program.

But it wasn’t until Bob Ladouceur, with the help of Hayes, put his own words to paper that a more complete picture was revealed.

As everybody knows, football is a game fueled by paranoia. Playbooks are guarded and game plans are top secret. That’s what makes the pages that follow such a treasure. Ladouceur pulls back the curtain on the game’s greatest dynasty, revealing everything he learned during a 33-year head-coaching career that produced an astounding 399-25-3 career record.

In this book, Ladouceur not only outlines everything from hiring a staff to his philosophies on discipline, motivation, leadership, developing players, offense, defense and special teams, but also explains the specific drills, techniques and conditioning regimens that have resulted in De La Salle playing the game at what I consider to be the highest level in terms of execution, discipline and effort.

That’s right. I have been a professional coach or broadcaster for more than four decades, but when it comes to the fundamentals of blocking, tackling and getting off the ball, Ladouceur’s teams at De La Salle High School in Concord, California, play on a level that often exceeds college and pro teams. That’s why I consider Ladouceur one of the greatest coaches of any sport.

We often think of football as a complicated game. If there’s one thing to take from this book it’s that it doesn’t have to be. There’s nothing complex about how Ladouceur teaches the game. His genius is in his ability to reduce the game to its essence.

This book offers an incredible, time-tested blueprint for aspiring coaches and is a great contribution to the coaching profession. It should be required reading for anybody who wants to coach football, or any sport, for that matter. His valuable lessons about leadership, motivation, commitment, accountability, integrity, hard work and teamwork will also resonate in the business world.”

46 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Your first few sentences were here n point.  But I saw DLS on play in those years and they were capable of running a gauntlet of playoff caliber teams.

DLS defense was outstanding during those years.  Better than the offense in my opinion.  Being simple (veer) doesn’t mean a team could stop them regularly.  They executed that well 

There is no gauntlet during those years that they could not have run.  If you think there was, then tel us 

You don't really address my concerns, though. I've already conceded they could beat most anyone in a one-off. They were very well coached, and were known to get off to great starts in games and then coast. But, the excellent game planning also meant the coaches did a good job of hiding weaker aspects of the team.

Playing good teams isn't just hard in trying to beat the one team you face on a given night. You often end up having to show your cards, so to speak. A quick start can get you the win in that game. But, with your cards shown, if you face more good teams down the road they'll be more prepared to attack your weaknesses. And, of course, playing several tough games in a row means you can't be totally focused, and totally fresh each week. You're bound to play a little less than ideal eventually. Not to mention possibly being banged up from prior weeks.

Many excellent teams suffer losses not because they aren't capable of beating the team they lost to, but because they played less than their best due having to play so many other tough games along the way. DLS's biggest games have always seemed like Super Bowls for them: if they win that particular game, there's nobody left with even a shot at beating them. So, they can put everything-game plan, focus, trick plays-into winning that one game. 

For example, SJB wasn't beating MD twice in 2019. They knew that. So, they had to approach the first game, not as a win-at-all-costs, but as an information gathering game where they possibly set MD up for the rematch. They had a very different approach in the rematch. They could only afford to approach it that way because they knew they'd have a rematch.

@badrouter  No one will know what would happen if DLS played in another region during those years.  What we do know is that they took on anyone who would play them, which included Top programs from several regions, and DLS handled them all. 

I don't think that they would have a 151 game win streak if they played in Texas, Fla or So cal.  However during the 1998-2003 years I would put $$ on DLS vs anyone either in a 1 game or a playoff region anywhere in the country.   I have not seen anyone post compelling evidence otherwise

15 minutes ago, badrouter said:

For example, SJB wasn't beating MD twice in 2019. They knew that. So, they had to approach the first game, not as a win-at-all-costs, but as an information gathering game where they possibly set MD up for the rematch. They had a very different approach in the rematch. They could only afford to approach it that way because they knew they'd have a rematch.

This is not true. In 2017 maybe. Their 2019 team had the #1 pro style QB in the country and 20+ other D1 guys. They believed they could win every game they played. I can’t speak for them but I know MD never enters a bosco game with intentions of holding things back and risking an L because there will be a rematch. If it came down to the wire it’s hard to believe that either team wouldn’t completely open up the playbook to get the W. Loser of the trinity league gets Cen10 in the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

This is not true. In 2017 maybe. Their 2019 team had the #1 pro style QB in the country and 20+ other D1 guys. They believed they could win every game they played. I can’t speak for them but I know MD never enters a bosco game with intentions of holding things back and risking an L because there will be a rematch. If it came down to the final second it’s hard to believe that either team wouldn’t completely open up the playbook to get the W. Loser of the trinity league gets Cen10 in the playoffs. 

SJB wasn't nearly as good as MD in 2019 IMO. That's because nobody was nearly as good as MD that year, maybe ever. And they were beaten decisively once, and were getting beaten decisively in the rematch (the second game is always harder on the team that won the first game) before they got the ball rolling and rode a wave of momentum to the win. I concede SJB may have been the only team that had any chance to beat MD at all.

I'm not saying SJB didn't play their hearts out to win. I'm just saying they took a realistic, intelligent approach. And that's why they managed to win the second game. If it were a best of 5, MD wins 4 games to 1. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Nobody nominated them.

BTW 2012-2014 should be nominated indeed. In fact, those are some of the most underrated teams in recent Florida history, as evidenced by the fact that none of us thought to nominate them beforehand.

The 2012 team went 14-1 and won a state title, only loss was to state champ Miami Central. And that was the weakest of the three teams.

The 2013 team has as strong a claim to best team in Florida history as any other, despite almost never being recognized as such. 55-0 road win at Georgia state champ Norcross; 28-17 win over Florida state champ Miami Central, who destroyed everyone else they played (this was the year MC went up to Jersey and beat DBP 50-21); 28-12 road win over Nevada state champ Bishop Gorman; won every single game by double-digit margins.

The 2014 team went 15-0 with a state title, plus a Geico win over Utah state champ Bingham, whose only other loss was an OT loss at Bishop Gorman, who knocked off Josh Rosen and SJB that year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 1 Locks: 

DBP 2009-2011

DLS 2000-2002

MD 2017-2019

STA 2008-2010

One other team will join these to round out Tier 1

I don't see how these are locks, other than it being your opinion. STA being knocked off in 2009 by Manatee should put them in a tussle with Lakeland, Miami BTW and Southlake Carrol IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, badrouter said:

I don't see how these are locks, other than it being your opinion. STA being knocked off in 2009 by Manatee should put them in a tussle with Lakeland, Miami BTW and Southlake Carrol IMO. 

Great point! STA lost the 2009 state title game to Manatee. In order to qualify as the greatest three year run ever these teams should have won the last game of their respective seasons. Otherwise it’s not a run. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

AF4B4B66-C5E6-4583-860B-D88630B8C1D1.gif

985FB43C-B85F-420F-AA80-D3701F1DF6E0.jpeg

Calpreps PAM feature is flawed. 2017 Gorman demolished state finalist Dls by the score of 34-7. That was the rare kind of beating that only STA and DBP gave to the Spartans. A few weeks after that game the PAM feature predicted that 2017 Dls would win the match up vs 2017 Gorman. 

CP is garbage!

2 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Calpreps PAM feature is flawed. 2017 Gorman demolished state finalist Dls by the score of 34-7. That was the rare kind of beating that only STA and DBP gave to the Spartans. A few weeks after that game the PAM feature predicted that 2017 Dls would win the match up vs 2017 Gorman. 

CP is garbage!

MD17 never was down in a game and won every game by 2 scores...even beat a few state champs

On 4/18/2021 at 9:41 AM, Sammyswordsman said:

The below list of 25 teams represents the nominations for best 3 year run.

These will be assigned to Tiers 1-5 based on most impressive resume x Best talent.  Six (6) teams per Tier.

The final result will be crowd sourced with a May 9 deadline.   Please present your best effort along with rationale.

Team Year Tier Reason

Allen 2013-2015    
Bergen Catholic 1997-99    
Bishop Gorman 2014-'16    
Booker T Washington 2012-'14    
Buford 2001-'03    
Central Bucks West (Pa) 1997-'99    
Cocoa, FL 2008-'10    
De La Salle 2000-'02    
Don Bosco Prep 2009-'11    
Edison, CA 1979-'81    
Evangel Christian 1997-99    
Independence, SC 2002-'04    
La Marque 1995-'97    
Lake Travis 2004-'06    
Lakeland 2004-'06    
Lowndes 2004 -'06    
Mater Dei 2017-'19    
Moeller 1976-78    
Parkview 2000-'02    
South Panola 2005-2007    
Southlake Carrol 2004-'06    
St. John Bosco 2013-'15    
St. Josephs (Pa) 2018-'20    
St. Thomas Aquinas 2008-'10    
St. Xavier (OH) 2005-'07    
Thomas Central (Ga) 1992-'94    
West Monroe 1996-1998    
Open      
Open      
Open      

@badrouter BTW has been added. We will accept 3 more teams to round out to an even 30 for the contest.   Deadline moved to May 9 to allow for additional discussion to vett the teams.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Great point! STA lost the 2009 state title game to Manatee. In order to qualify as the greatest three year run ever these teams should have won the last game of their respective seasons. Otherwise it’s not a run. 

The Bishop isn’t bullet proof either.  Their run has its asterisks as well 

• Like 1