Servite 34 - JSerra 21 (F)

imaGoodBoyNow

16 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

No. If they are they shouldn't be. They definitely fail the eye test. CalPreps computers obviously don't watch the games. Honestly their offensive production, especially from the QB, has been horrific all season long. Booty has now been benched 3 times this this season. They were expected to be good. Maybe the rankings are holding onto that idea. But the proof is in the pudding according to how they play. No way would I put them in the Cali top 10. If I were to be totally objective based on performance they are not top 15. From a talent standpoint they are, but you actually need to play the game which is where they have failed.

I agree. I wasn't impressed with the way the game went with Milton. They barely squeezed that game out when Milton might barely be top 20 in Georgia. 

At the time I was thinking it more of a good sign for Milton than a bad sign for JSerra, but as the season progressed, I realized that neither were probably top 100 teams. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I try not to get involved in these whos better o  which coast arguments and im not stating a case for Joe's being better or worse than anyone. I did not see servite game so im gonna ask how many yards in penalties did they have, how many TDs called back? I ask because Joe's had over 100yds on penalties (most were deserved), but the td called back on 3rd down which made them settle for a field goal was a phantom penalty. Thats the difference btwn 28-13 and 24-14. Joe's played a D line that game that no longer sees playing time with the exception of Amin Vanover. That dline they started got exposed vs Jsera, however jserra was only able to produce ONE td. Safe to say they get nothing at this point in season. Trinity league is a great league, but outside of SJB and MD its no better or worse than WCAC and BNU.

5 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Lay off the drugs.

Servite got smoked by a below avg Bishop Gorman team. 

No way. In fact, I'm having drugs for breakfast.

Servite played Bishop Gorman on the road in like week 1, which may as well be last season. They are a young team which is getting better every week. Just ask the DLS guys, they'll tell you all you need to know about #HyperImprovement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Servite played Bishop Gorman on the road in like week 1, which may as well be last season. They are a young team which is getting better every week. Just ask the DLS guys, they'll tell you all you need to know about #HyperImprovement.

giphy (7).gif

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I didn't watch it. That's why I asked. 

Outside of MD/SJB - these Trinity League dudes are selling shit and calling it caviar.

Is it bad HS football...The answer would be No.  Is it elite level high school football - The answer would be No.  

Realistically the level of play is middle of the road as compared top level football around the country.  

It's hard for me to watch cause the pace of the game is so damn slow.  30 to 40 sec between every single play.  

Don't waist your time sending these two to play TX elite.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

No. If they are they shouldn't be. They definitely fail the eye test. CalPreps computers obviously don't watch the games. Honestly their offensive production, especially from the QB, has been horrific all season long. Booty has now been benched 3 times this this season. They were expected to be good. Maybe the rankings are holding onto that idea. But the proof is in the pudding according to how they play. No way would I put them in the Cali top 10. If I were to be totally objective based on performance they are not top 15. From a talent standpoint they are, but you actually need to play the game which is where they have failed.

We can swing from one extreme of the pendulum all the way to the other if we want, but the truth is typically somewhere in the middle.

No, the computers clearly don't "watch the game".  What they do, however, is look at the results.  While JSerra's style of play leaves a lot to be desired, the fact of the matter is that they have a number of pretty good wins this year.  They beat SLC East, Bishop Amat (albeit when they had some injury issues), and Calabasas (a borderline SS D-I/II team).  The Milton win wasn't amazing, but it's not terrible, either (that said, I still think it was a gift).  Ultimately, that's a pretty good resume, relative to whomever else may be listed amongst the California top 10 or 15.

The way I described them last night to someone was that they're similar to how Loyola was in the late 90s/early 2000s.  They play good defense and just seem to want to wait you out on offense until you make a mistake.

I think this loss should drop them out of the top 10, but not out of the top 15.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Beating DLS and SJC of late isn’t enough? Also played IMG and BG. Not as insignificant as you think. 

"Of late"?  The DLS game was 4 years ago.  No one in questioning Duncanville.  It's all of the other run-of-the-mill teams that Texas fan is claiming are so much superior.

As for IMG... they lost those games.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Before this season, when was the last time MD traveled East to play an OOS opponent? 

Dude, you can't win this argument.  One team not traveling across the country is not relevant when so many others from California travel quite a bit.  You get a much clearer picture about California, New Jersey, and Florida teams.  Texas, not so much.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Let's not get too crazy there.

JSerra is pretty average. No reason why they should be ranked as high as they are. #28 is just ridiculous. Top 100 would be generous, honestly.

Servite looks pretty good though and worthy of their Top 50 recognition.

an extremely dumb post. but thanks!

3 hours ago, dntn31 said:

Well, this is a vicious circle.  While drugs for breakfast might be the best idea I've heard all day, you'd totally understand #Hyperimprovement if you weren't having drugs for breakfast...😉

Your boys have a shot against MD?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Your boys have a shot against MD?

They definitely do. The average score over the last six games (2016-2018) is something like 28-27 in favor of MD. The Fighting Staches have looked great this year, no doubt (dare I say better than last year?) and I'll probably take them in the pickem. SJB has some (relative) weakness in the secondary, specifically at corner and that more or less plays into their strength.

Maybe Negro has some tricks left up his sleeve? Maybe he pulls them out next week? Maybe he saves them for a potential playoff rematch? Last year I was expecting a one score game in league and we got a 41-18 SJB blowout, so what do I know? /shrug

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

The definitely do. The average score over the last six games (2016-2018) is something like 28-27 in favor of MD. The Fighting Staches have looked great this year, no doubt (dare I say better than last year?) and I'll probably take them in the pickem. SJB has some (relative) weakness in the secondary, specifically at corner and that more or less plays into their strength.

Maybe Negro has some tricks left up his sleeve? Maybe he pulls them out next week? Maybe he saves them for a potential playoff rematch? Last year I was expecting a one score game in league and we got a 41-18 SJB blowout, so what do I know? /shrug

Totally agree. These teams know each other inside and out. Things change a touch year to year, and that's why I think you see things like the outcomes of last year's games. While I do think MD wins next week, I do think just handing them this W with confidence is an oversight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texasball said:

Outside of MD/SJB - these Trinity League dudes are selling shit and calling it caviar.

Is it bad HS football...The answer would be No.  Is it elite level high school football - The answer would be No.  

Realistically the level of play is middle of the road as compared top level football around the country.  

It's hard for me to watch cause the pace of the game is so damn slow.  30 to 40 sec between every single play.  

Don't waist your time sending these two to play TX elite.

Nothing special about this Servite or JSerra team.    See Katy's District #3 and #4 place team and you got these two teams.

Put them in Texas 5A and they might be in the #10-#15 range in Texas 5A State.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Before this season, when was the last time MD traveled East to play an OOS opponent? 

Answer:  NEVER.

Also.. speaking of California Public Schools...   Probably the best California Public school over the last 15 years has been Centennial.

When has Centennial "EVER" left the State of California for a game.....  Answer..  "NEVER!!"

Again...   I would like to this game in 2020...    DeSoto (TX) vs Centennial (CA).

Two State Public Schools.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

Dude, you can't win this argument.  One team not traveling across the country is not relevant when so many others from California travel quite a bit.  You get a much clearer picture about California, New Jersey, and Florida teams.  Texas, not so much.

So, Texas teams beating state champions [In certain cases] Top 25 ranked state champions and then losing in Texas doesn’t paint a clear & avid picture of the football played here?

Okay 😌 Glad we cleared that up

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

Your argument is a total mess.  

It’s not really a mess. Texas chooses state champions to play. The rankings concept went clear out the window when a defending state champion, National championship seeking, preseason MaxPreps #1 waltzed into Texas and left with a 80 - 26 loss, only for that Texas team to nearly lose in the quarterfinals; survive 28 - 24.
Trail the entire game except for the final play in the semifinals; survive 41 - 40.
Then, lose in the 6A Division 1 state championship to a team I believe making its’ first state championship appearance 28 - 24.

All while that team went back to their state and won 14 straight to win their state championship.

Quality of the team > “Ranking”

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

They definitely do. The average score over the last six games (2016-2018) is something like 28-27 in favor of MD. The Fighting Staches have looked great this year, no doubt (dare I say better than last year?) and I'll probably take them in the pickem. SJB has some (relative) weakness in the secondary, specifically at corner and that more or less plays into their strength.

I highly doubt negro has even showed a glimpse of what he plans to do against MD. Bosco is way too talented and well coached for anybody to count them out already. They can absolutely win, im rolling with the monarchs of course but it would be no surprise to any of us if Bosco wins. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texasfrog said:

Nothing special about this Servite or JSerra team.    See Katy's District #3 and #4 place team and you got these two teams.

Put them in Texas 5A and they might be in the #10-#15 range in Texas 5A State.

I think Bishop Amat already has shown how stupid this statement is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2