Some California news

Ararar

On 4/6/2024 at 1:11 PM, Norcalnut said:

Most people seem to forget about the job Frank Allocco did at Northgate and De LaSalle during that time period. 3 years state championships, numerous state championships appearances (all Open or Div1) and fastest coach to 600 wins in state history. I guess he’s easy to forget when the football team is the greatest HS football dynasty in history. Watching his teams play was like watching paint dry (first one to 40 wins) but he kept on winning.

Fun fact-Frank Allocco was a quarterback on the 75 Notre Dame football team of the movie Rudy. Can anyone name the other quarterback on the team?

Ron Pawlus? 😂

1 hour ago, Norcalnut said:

Close, he did go to ND. I hear he was still trying to find a side of a barn big enough to hit.🤪

Gotta be Darryl Lamonica, Joe Thiesmann or Brady Quinn. Long-shot Tony Rice. Thats about all I got 😂

5 hours ago, MD87 said:

Correct.  Lots of fond memories from that game at the LA Sports Arena (RIP) for the SoCal title.  Sean Higgins was the headliner and did win a natty at Michigan, but Chris had a much longer pro career.  JD Green was the third star for the Fax and went to SMU.  LeRon dominated and then it was a cakewalk to MD’s first state title in Oakland, over Ygnacio Valley.  Good times.  

And yes, TK’s flameout was epic, but then there was Schea.  Really glad to see how he’s parlayed all that disappointment into such a positive these days, but wow, so much success was assumed for him at one time.  Said leaving MD was his biggest regret.  Makes you wonder if things could’ve ended differently.

next season, i believe McKnight will surpass Morgan Wootten for coaching victories, makes me wonder if McKnight will reach the Half Century mark at MD for being the HC, i think this past season was his 42nd season.

I'm aware there has been lots of discussion from me, and i'm sure i'm not the only observer that has always found it to be shocking and mind-boggling, that, MD being the most successful decorated Boys Hoops Program in CA state history, their players have not been successful in the NBA, since there are other HS's in CA that have managed to produce players that have made an impact in the NBA, yet those other HS's, have been not even close to as successful as MD as in the McKnight era, when it comes to CIF state titles and section titles, they have not even won a fraction or a 10th of the amount of titles MD has won under McKnight.

of the 9 MD players that made it to the NBA in the McKnight era, most of them did not last that long in the NBA, they lasted very shortly, only 3 of them lasted a full season in the NBA. LeRon Ellis, Reggie Geary and Stanley Johnson.

As for reasons why, its been said that the system MD uses under McKnight, MD plays very well as a team, because of that, it makes a lot of their star players look better than they actually are.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rippers said:

I know.  I also posted my answer before I saw that Ararar beat me to it.

You know, as lifelong 49er fan and former season ticket holder during the 80’s, I think you are right. It was old #19 😂

IMG_0524.jpeg

16 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

As for reasons why, its been said that the system MD uses under McKnight, MD plays very well as a team, because of that, it makes a lot of their star players look better than they actually are.

That has always been the primary reason, in my opinion.  LeRon and Stanley are probably the ones whose under-performance surprised me the most as they both had/have the size and physical tools for the NBA.  Even as great as Schea was, his frame never would have translated well to the big leagues; whereas LeRon and SJ looked phenomenal on paper.  

On 4/8/2024 at 1:09 PM, MD87 said:

That has always been the primary reason, in my opinion.  LeRon and Stanley are probably the ones whose under-performance surprised me the most as they both had/have the size and physical tools for the NBA.  Even as great as Schea was, his frame never would have translated well to the big leagues; whereas LeRon and SJ looked phenomenal on paper.  

the next mater dei player that does anything at the next level will be the first. in any sport

On 4/8/2024 at 1:09 PM, MD87 said:

yeah, even though Stanley Johnson is without question, MD's most successful NBA player, still, not a single MD player in the McKnight era has made the all-star team or truly made an impact in the NBA like these CA NBA players, James Harden, Kawai Leonard, Klay Thompson, Jason Kidd, Russell Westbrook.

Even though this other player did not make a huge impact like the ones i mentioned above, he did have a long NBA career, good longevity as a contributing role player or bench player, Tyson Chandler. Not a single MD player, even Stanley Johnson, lasted long like him.

"Under McKnight they've won primarily by playing team-oriented ball as opposed to NBA-bound superstars surrounded by smaller pieces"

"ive heard lots of speculation as to why MD players have not been successful in the NBA. One reason is that MD players pretty much have approached their ceiling at the end of high school because they have been so coached up. You won’t likely see a ‘raw talent’ that all of a sudden flourishes after playing at MD. A small percent of NBA players were McDonalds All Americans. Most of them were obviously very good high school players but they really came into their own and flourished once going to college."

Also, i think the 1984 loss against LB Poly is McKnights most painful loss for him and MD right? its the loss that he doesn't want to remember the most? Another i can think of, is 1994 when MD lost to Crenshaw in the playoffs, MD was undefeated prior to that game.

7 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Also, i think the 1984 loss against LB Poly is McKnights most painful loss for him and MD right? its the loss that he doesn't want to remember the most? Another i can think of, is 1994 when MD lost to Crenshaw in the playoffs, MD was undefeated prior to that game.

There are plenty.  The upset losses in state title games to Oakland Fremont, Oak Ridge and Palo Alto stung, too…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MD87 said:

There are plenty.  The upset losses in state title games to Oakland Fremont, Oak Ridge and Palo Alto stung, too…

i know i've also brought this up, next season i think will be McKnight's 43nd season as the HC, Morgan Wootten was at DeMatha for 46 seasons, i wonder if McKnight will continue to be the HC at MD longer than that, i wonder if he will reach the half century mark for being an HC.

On 4/7/2024 at 8:14 PM, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

next season, i believe McKnight will surpass Morgan Wootten for coaching victories, makes me wonder if McKnight will reach the Half Century mark at MD for being the HC, i think this past season was his 42nd season.

I'm aware there has been lots of discussion from me, and i'm sure i'm not the only observer that has always found it to be shocking and mind-boggling, that, MD being the most successful decorated Boys Hoops Program in CA state history, their players have not been successful in the NBA, since there are other HS's in CA that have managed to produce players that have made an impact in the NBA, yet those other HS's, have been not even close to as successful as MD as in the McKnight era, when it comes to CIF state titles and section titles, they have not even won a fraction or a 10th of the amount of titles MD has won under McKnight.

of the 9 MD players that made it to the NBA in the McKnight era, most of them did not last that long in the NBA, they lasted very shortly, only 3 of them lasted a full season in the NBA. LeRon Ellis, Reggie Geary and Stanley Johnson.

To be fair , a number of those hoop titles came at the lower lever . They seemed to go to another level after they beat Modesto Christian in the D-1 final . That may have been their best all around team

14 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

To be fair , a number of those hoop titles came at the lower lever . They seemed to go to another level after they beat Modesto Christian in the D-1 final . That may have been their best all around team

another reminder that MD has been for a couple of years now, and still is, going through the longest state title drought in the McKnight era for Basketball. Also, they are not as consistent as they used to when it comes to winning CIF section titles, the most recent ones they have won, are in 2018 and last year 2023, previously, they would almost never go more than 2 years without winning a CIF section title in basketball. I think in McKnight's first 25 years, they never went more than 2 years without winning a CIF section title.

10 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

another reminder that MD has been for a couple of years now, and still is, going through the longest state title drought in the McKnight era for Basketball. Also, they are not as consistent as they used to when it comes to winning CIF section titles, the most recent ones they have won, are in 2018 and last year 2023, previously, they would almost never go more than 2 years without winning a CIF section title in basketball. I think in McKnight's first 25 years, they never went more than 2 years without winning a CIF section title.

Is it because competition is better or that MD isn't getting some of those elite players. Extremely well coached team. Always deep into the playoffs but they seem to run into a team that is highly ranked nationally that they just can't beat

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

1 year?  Too much pressure?

Not the pressure, but it is tough replacing a guy like Rollo. Frank and Rollo had different presences both on and off the field. It’s all good when you get to coach Mater Dei football, but there is much more to the job than coaching. MD wishes him well and the “search” won’t be long. I thought it was a good hire initially, sure I would have done things differently as the season went along but at the end of the day he got the job done. It obviously was not on the field performance related but there are other areas to perform and they have to be done the right way. People can say whatever they want about Rollo but he had it all rolling. It’s not an easy job. Frank worked extremely hard and wanted nothing but the best for the boys. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

He did lose to SJB.

Yup and then shut them out to win CIF and then he went on to win State.  Pretty good season, especially considering that MD reloads and doesn't rebuild.  He probably would have had similar results this season.  Maybe there were some ethical violations or he broke some CIF rules, because this decision makes zero sense.

17 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

He did lose to SJB.

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

Not the pressure, but it is tough replacing a guy like Rollo. Frank and Rollo had different presences both on and off the field. It’s all good when you get to coach Mater Dei football, but there is much more to the job than coaching. MD wishes him well and the “search” won’t be long. I thought it was a good hire initially, sure I would have done things differently as the season went along but at the end of the day he got the job done. It obviously was not on the field performance related but there are other areas to perform and they have to be done the right way. People can say whatever they want about Rollo but he had it all rolling. It’s not an easy job. Frank worked extremely hard and wanted nothing but the best for the boys. 

What would be different for a coach at MD than say a another California powerhouse.