Some California news

Ararar

5 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Totally agree. That’s why I said that I need to see for myself in a couple of weeks. It all sounds great, but you’re right, it was split squad passing tourney stuff. But I’m telling you, these skill guys for DLS will be the best since ‘03. You heard it here.👍

If they were to win a tourney like battle at the Beach in SoCal, you may have something to hang your hat on. Sac state? Folsom? By 17?

2 hours ago, Bestcoast said:

If they were to win a tourney like battle at the Beach in SoCal, you may have something to hang your hat on. Sac state? Folsom? By 17?

It isn't anything new, really. Last year by year's end, Hale could pass and Dela had a threat in that dept. If you recall the MD game, Dela had some huge passing plays. Only this year they will be much better and sharper. When Dela has been good, the passing threat has always been there, when needed. The veer will be much better because of it, and teams won't be able to put 9 in the box like the past few seasons. If you want to compare Dela to Elite passing programs, than yea, you have a point

• Like 5

15 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

It isn't anything new, really. Last year by year's end, Hale could pass and Dela had a threat in that dept. If you recall the MD game, Dela had some huge passing plays. Only this year they will be much better and sharper. When Dela has been good, the passing threat has always been there, when needed. The veer will be much better because of it, and teams won't be able to put 9 in the box like the past few seasons. If you want to compare Dela to Elite passing programs, than yea, you have a point

I agree! DLS never has had or will have an elite passing attack. However, when they have a legitimate passing attack/threat, it makes their offense that much harder to stop. They’ll still try to run the ball down your throat but when they are capable of hitting one over the top, it keeps defenses honest.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Last year by year's end, Hale could pass and Dela had a threat in that dept. If you recall the MD game, Dela had some huge passing plays.

it's one thing to pass the ball when the D has 10 men in the box. if DLS sets up in a 3 or 4 wide set Hale is going to have issues. DLS doesn't have the type off beef to deal with an elite pass rush out of a spread formation.

• Like 3

On 6/9/2019 at 9:54 PM, Blueliner said:

I was not able to attend 😠, but I’m hearing that DLS looked really good the passing tourney at Sac State today. They won two of 3 from Folsom and “won” the tourney. Sounds like Hale and the receiving corp are making serious strides....as I figured that he/they would. Courtesy NorCalpreps. Passing tourney at DLS in two weeks. I’ll be there for sure to see for myself. We’re getting close! Little over two months!

I, for one, am counting on it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

it's one thing to pass the ball when the D has 10 men in the box. if DLS sets up in a 3 or 4 wide set Hale is going to have issues. DLS doesn't have the type off beef to deal with an elite pass rush out of a spread formation.

You are Exactly right, there is no way Hale will be able to just drop back and just chuck it around against STA, MD, SJB....

What they will have this year is the Ability to keep up with those teams by making Big plays with their Elite speed... There will be some spread type of sets but look for them to get the ball quickly in the hands of their WR and RB's coming out of the back field.. They only have 2 games next year where the O-Line will be "Over-matched", STA and The Open... I believe they will be able to hit enough big plays to stay in those games and possibly pull the Upset's...

This will be one of the fastest DLS team's we have ever seen, their Defense is the Big Questions Mark, But their Offense will be Championship Caliber this year... I think #24 (Garrett) will have a Big Year!!!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

You are Exactly right, there is no way Hale will be able to just drop back and just chuck it around against STA, MD, SJB....

What they will have this year is the Ability to keep up with those teams by making Big plays with their Elite speed... There will be some spread type of sets but look for them to get the ball quickly in the hands of their WR and RB's coming out of the back field.. They only have 2 games next year where the O-Line will be "Over-matched", STA and The Open... I believe they will be able to hit enough big plays to stay in those games and possibly pull the Upset's...

This will be one of the fastest DLS team's we have ever seen, their Defense is the Big Questions Mark, But their Offense will be Championship Caliber this year... I think #24 (Garrett) will have a Big Year!!!

You nailed it. DLS isn’t going to 7 step drops. Certainly not against STA or in the Open. We’re going to see 3-5 steps max with Hale rolling out delivering into space with some planned keepers. He’s a really good runner. He’ll be that 3rd option in the veer that Sweeney brought to the table. Hale, Garrett, Coby, Hearns, and Daley will be a handful for any team speed wise. I expect Norfleet and Torres to get a lot of reps at RB as well with aforementioned kids playing slot in addition to RB. There’s several kids coming up from JV that are already 6 feet plus that have potential. I wonder if Tagaloa (6-3 220 sophomore next year) will be a lineman or TE/DE combo ala Asiasi. He played basketball as a frosh. I can’t wait to see them in two weeks to find out. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

Last year they burned MD with two long plays that were very short passes in the second half.  That’s the thing with DLS, you can bottle them up pretty good for most of the game but eventually they bust one.   Neither of those plays were from the spread, and in both cases they took advantage of MD committing hard against the run.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, On2whls said:

Last year they burned MD with two long plays that were very short passes in the second half.  That’s the thing with DLS, you can bottle them up pretty good for most of the game but eventually they bust one.   Neither of those plays were from the spread, and in both cases they took advantage of MD committing hard against the run.

Last year in the Open MD had their FS lined up 7 yards back and the ILB's 3 yards back. But if DLS showed 3 or 4 side set MD would have put in their normal StudStar/Jet packages. I haven't seen Hale play alot but he seems to have a big windup release.

35 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

Last year in the Open MD had their FS lined up 7 yards back and the ILB's 3 yards back. But if DLS showed 3 or 4 side set MD would have put in their normal StudStar/Jet packages. I haven't seen Hale play alot but he seems to have a big windup release.

Eddy,

You seem to be stuck on this 3-4 wide sets. That’s not gonna happen...Maybe on occasion. You’re likely gonna see normal veer formations with a lot of rollouts and play action on passing downs. DLS will still use the run to set up the pass. That said, this DLS offense will be throwing more than previous years. You’re not gonna be able to stack the box on these guys. Hale does have a little bit of a wind up... which they’re working on.  This will be a good season for Cali.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

He will have to start his windup right after he gets the snap.  Problem solved.  

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Eddy,

You seem to be stuck on this 3-4 wide sets. That’s not gonna happen...Maybe on occasion. You’re likely gonna see normal veer formations with a lot of rollouts and play action on passing downs. DLS will still use the run to set up the pass. That said, this DLS offense will be throwing more than previous years. You’re not gonna be able to stack the box on these guys. Hale does have a little bit of a wind up... which they’re working on.  This will be a good season for Cali.

QB hasnt been DLS issue the last 3 year...it's their center...hope the kid who starts next year starts drinking some protein shake before the open...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eddyr2 said:

QB hasnt been DLS issue the last 3 year...it's their center...hope the kid who starts next year starts drinking some protein shake before the open...

The starting center will either be Crespi or Puckett. I'm pretty sure Crespi will get the nod. He's the senior and a little bigger at this point. 6-2 250 ish soaking wet. It will be a challenge for sure against STA and MD/SJB etc. to run the veer. But there's different ways to attack a strong DT from this offense. The coaches will have to adjust, and Hale will have to make good reads. No doubt that their work will be cut out for them.

2 hours ago, Blueliner said:

The starting center will either be Crespi or Puckett. I'm pretty sure Crespi will get the nod. He's the senior and a little bigger at this point. 6-2 250 ish soaking wet. It will be a challenge for sure against STA and MD/SJB etc. to run the veer. But there's different ways to attack a strong DT from this offense. The coaches will have to adjust, and Hale will have to make good reads. No doubt that their work will be cut out for them.

First game I’d say is pretty guaranteed to happen. Other two, I haven’t seen on the schedule yet to confirm it is going to happen? As the kids like to say, “just sayin” 😂

A59C3E2B-3D0F-4E7F-97DD-CC7F20854023.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

First game I’d say is pretty guaranteed to happen. Other two, I haven’t seen on the schedule yet to confirm it is going to happen? As the kids like to say, “just sayin” 😂

A59C3E2B-3D0F-4E7F-97DD-CC7F20854023.jpeg

Ahh yes. The proverbial cart before the horse. STA, they get week zero as you said. The latter game is assuming DLS wins NorCal and they play MD or SJB in the Open. Maybe Cen10 or Folsom will have a say👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Ahh yes. The proverbial cart before the horse. STA, they get week zero as you said. The latter game is assuming DLS wins NorCal and they play MD or SJB in the Open. Maybe Cen10 or Folsom will have a say👍

I’d say history is on their side....but you just never know what a group of 16–18 year olds will or won’t do.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Nah, it'll be DLS vs MD/SJB

I am with you on this... Unless CC beats MD in game 1 this year they will have to go through both MD and SJB... No one is beating those Dudes Back to Back....

Unfortunately for Nor Cal and Folsom their Best Shot at beating DLS was the last 3 years... That window is now closed... With “Training Wheels” fully off their QB and their Speed on Offense DLS will Steamroll The Best Teams in Nor Cal This year and next... 

• Like 1