Some California news

Ararar

14 hours ago, MD87 said:

Had the privilege of watching that young man play in person a handful of times when I lived in the Bay Area.  The one that stood out was the ECA game.  Would've watched him play on Sundays, I'm sure of it.  RIP

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna3274106

Good sized frame and athleticism… 🙏 

Coach Lad such class… 3 knee downs starting from the 1 with a 17 pt lead.  

I was not pleased with STA kicking a FG late in the game hosting DLS.  Different mindset.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

I haven’t been around much of late, so if already mentioned prior… delete thx. 

I watched this heartbreaking episode.  Coach Lad and Eidson were interviewed.  
After watching the episode, I researched Kelly and Oregon and he was slated to play on defense.  The episode focused on his RB achievements, so the D mention was a surprise to me.  

https://dlsspartans.org/news/terrance-kelly-04-to-be-featured-on-investigation-discovery-series

I remember when he was playing TE even though he was undersized and it was not his ideal position. They had Drew in the backfield and had the likes of Colvin on the outside. But he was really to good to keep off the field and they obviously wanted to get him involved. You could tell he was a really good football player. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

I remember when he was playing TE even though he was undersized and it was not his ideal position. They had Drew in the backfield and had the likes of Colvin on the outside. But he was really to good to keep off the field and they obviously wanted to get him involved. You could tell he was a really good football player. 

I highly recommend HSFB fans find this episode on demand if possible.   The teenager succeeds away from his dangerous home life surroundings and a family member from that home life turns on him.  :(    As sad as it was, a well done program.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:41 PM, MD87 said:

And just like that, with Jack, Mar, Nate and Dickey, our WR room is looking damn scary.  You wanna re-think #1, Maxpreps?

Wait till you get a look at Jonah Smith. Just finished middle school and played in his first 7 on 7 with MD this past weekend and lit it up. Smooth route runner, 6’0 frame, and already holds offers from Notre Dame, Michigan, Oregon, MSU, SMU etc. Further along than CJ Williams was at this stage. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I highly recommend HSFB fans find this episode on demand if possible.   The teenager succeeds away from his dangerous home life surroundings and a family member from that home life turns on him.  :(    As sad as it was, a well done program.  

I haven’t seen it yet, but plan on it. There was a thread months ago on the Norcal board with a couple people saying they wouldn’t watch it because it was one of those cases that was really hard to watch.

I can honestly remember when I heard. I was working graveyard and they showed a quick blurb promo before they broke for a commercial on the very early morning news. It was just a quick shot of him in his DLS uniform before they went to break and they said Bay Area football star shot and killed. Recognized the number and uniform right away. I kinda jumped up and told my partners, “that kids a fucking stud, seen him play a bunch of times he was leaving for Oregon what a waste.” Yep one of those things I remember like yesterday, but I have no clue and can’t remember what Tits and I did last Saturday 🤷‍♂️?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

I haven’t seen it yet, but plan on it. There was a thread months ago on the Norcal board with a couple people saying they wouldn’t watch it because it was one of those cases that was really hard to watch.

Good share thanks and I get it.   

I will never watch the movie Schindler’s list.  I visited Oswiecim multiple times during my many trips to Poland… and that’s plenty enough for me to view and take in.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Wait till you get a look at Jonah Smith. Just finished middle school and played in his first 7 on 7 with MD this past weekend and lit it up. Smooth route runner, 6’1+ frame, and already holds offers from Notre Dame, Michigan, Oregon, MSU, SMU etc. Further along than CJ Williams was at this stage. 

Was he that kid that was catching just about every TD from Elijah in the UTR video of that 7 on 7 that came out yesterday?

11 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Indeed.

I don’t know the exact record but MD has won most of the Freshmen games against  Bosco (and everybody) over the past decade. You just have to look at next season projected starters. Probably 17-18 out of 22 enrolled as Freshmen. Likewise for kids that get time in the rotation.

if i recall correctly, the reason why Bryce Young didn't enroll at MD as a freshman, despite having ties to MD before HS, because i think he attended the MD youth football camps prior to HS. He chose not to enroll at MD as a freshman because he didn't want to compete with JT Daniels for the starting QB?

If i had to guess, the dynasty that MD had in the 90s, made their program attract plenty of athletes to enroll as freshmen instead of transferring, even though MD had a title drought that lasted for almost 20 years. So a lot of people wonder how was MD all of sudden able to attract or lure elite talent despite being on a title drought for nearly 2 decades, and they went a full decade without reaching the CIF title game from 2002 to 2012.

People will no doubt say Rollo and MD made questionable moves similar to what Negro and Bosco have done.

14 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

if i recall correctly, the reason why Bryce Young didn't enroll at MD as a freshman, despite having ties to MD before HS, because i think he attended the MD youth football camps prior to HS. He chose not to enroll at MD as a freshman because he didn't want to compete with JT Daniels for the starting QB?

If i had to guess, the dynasty that MD had in the 90s, made their program attract plenty of athletes to enroll as freshmen instead of transferring, even though MD had a title drought that lasted for almost 20 years. So a lot of people wonder how was MD all of sudden able to attract or lure elite talent despite being on a title drought for nearly 2 decades, and they went a full decade without reaching the CIF title game from 2002 to 2012.

People will no doubt say Rollo and MD made questionable moves similar to what Negro and Bosco have done.

You are correct about Bryce Young. He would have attended MD sooner if not for JT Daniels. Same for Miller Moss. He attended MD camps prior to high school but transferred to MD for his senior season only after BY graduated. Although Moss never played since there was no Fall season in 2020.

5 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Wait till you get a look at Jonah Smith. Just finished middle school and played in his first 7 on 7 with MD this past weekend and lit it up. Smooth route runner, 6’1+ frame, and already holds offers from Notre Dame, Michigan, Oregon, MSU, SMU etc. Further along than CJ Williams was at this stage. 

Jonah Smith made most of his limited reps this weekend. He caught 5 balls and an extra point, 3 balls were for long scores, two of the deep balls were against Los Al's Makai Lemon and Serra's speedster Rodrick Pleasant. And no one is going to the bench, if anything, Jonah would be among the rotation with Harris and Jordan.  But will see in these next two tournaments if Jonah can make an impact. One thing is sure, Jonah seemed more comfortable with deep balls than the other WRs, even though Marcus Harris caught his share. As far as Frazier, it's interesting, because he didn't play much offense and was used in nickel before sitting out seeded play.  

On 6/26/2022 at 12:53 PM, HurricaneNick said:

Add another for Margarita. They’re not playing this year. Ill have to check them out.

This is an interesting one. Not playing football since his freshman year in Division 13 Academy League to D-1 Trinity League. Thats a big jump, will see how much of an impact he can make. Obviously being recruited on his raw ability. And raw he is. But he gives Santa Margarita a much needed big body on the DL. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, covercorner said:

Jonah Smith made most of his limited reps this weekend. He caught 5 balls and an extra point, 3 balls were for long scores, two of the deep balls were against Los Al's Makai Lemon and Serra's speedster Rodrick Pleasant. And no one is going to the bench, if anything, Jonah would be among the rotation with Harris and Jordan.  But will see in these next two tournaments if Jonah can make an impact. One thing is sure, Jonah seemed more comfortable with deep balls than the other WRs, even though Marcus Harris caught his share. As far as Frazier, it's interesting, because he didn't play much offense and was used in nickel before sitting out seeded play.  

Nice! I was in FL and didn’t get to attend but got texts throughout the day. I heard Kassius ashtiani had a day against MD in the finals. Lemon took chuck mcdonald deep. Smith played well. Jelani was flat footed at times. 
The staff is a lot smarter than I, just think Frazier helps on O more than he does on D.  

19 hours ago, Ararar said:

MD

SJB

Centennial

DLS

Santa Margarita 

Los Al

Serra (sm)

Folsom

LBP

Forgot MV

As good as SJB is, I'm still taking MD over them. Having a bunch of stud transfers hardly means anything if their chemistry and their energy isn't in sync. Ask IMG, Serra, Narbonne, how they fared

• Like 2

11 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

SDCC has a Great Schedule with Cen10, DLS and Chandler on it…. If they can run the table will be a solid #3 in CA…..

Interestingly they get all three at home.  Play close attention to those teams penalty yards versus SDCC as compared to their opponents for the rest of the year.  I wouldn’t be surprised if you see 2.5 to 3 times more yards assessed vs SDCC. It’s brutal down there.  
Although it’s a tall order, it would not shock me if they won all three contests.  

• Like 3