GOW: No. 3 SJB, 3 vs. No. 5 STA, 9 F OT

PrepGridiron

Who Will Win?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins when SJB travels to STA on 8/25.

• St. John Bosco Braves
    • St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders
    • S. Florida Rain

46 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I can't remember the name of the team SJB scrimmaged recently (red and white team), but those boys were getting taken down easily against a much much inferior team.

Huh.....They ran the opening kickoff back for a TD The D returned the 1st play back for a TD. The 1st run play went for a TD the 1st pass was thrown for a TD....they scored on every single offensive possession.

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

I went with STA because Cali is OVERRATED. They are lucky with pretty boy QBs moving over there because the world there is blonde as it pertains to women, so they do manage to turn out half decent QBs. The  half decent QBs and  blonde world also attracts half decent receivers as well, which is why the stats over there look half decent. 

STA is gonna prove that the Number 1-2ish team in Cali is a joke and Colquitt is gonna prove that the number 14 team in Murrieta is a joke. 

Home team takes it. 

Woe is gonna be you on Saturday.  Calif guys will be strutting like peacocks.  May wanna take a break from the board for a few days. LOL

• Haha 2

On 8/21/2017 at 11:38 AM, PrepGridiron said:

The highly anticipated game between two of the best programs in the country is set for this Friday. Who do you got? Who will win the line of scrimmage? How will new STA QB, Curt Casteel, fair in his first start? How will the heat and humidity affect the Braves? What are the keys to the game? 

Rankings from PrepGridiron.com Reader Poll as of 8/23/17.

Heat and humidity should factor not in since they both have the same climate, relatively speaking. If it rains that WOULD be a factor to STA's advantage.

2 hours ago, BB bos said:

Huh.....They ran the opening kickoff back for a TD The D returned the 1st play back for a TD. The 1st run play went for a TD the 1st pass was thrown for a TD....they scored on every single offensive possession.

What about all of the plays in between? That running back in particular was being brought down in the open field by one midget that looked to be 10.

6 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

The deciding factor for me, which may very likely turn out be a mistake in the pick em, is Florida teams as a whole play a more physical brand of football than California (DLS excluded most years which is why they have so much success in state). I think STA is going to wear them down and take the victory in a close one assuming they make their field goals and the coaches do not screw up in their decision making like they are known to do.

With all of that being said, I'm ok with SJB winning so Los will stay away for another 3 months or so. Lol

This is SJB non Cen10 playing homie.  SJB is VERY physical.  Their theme song is the great song by Olivia Newton John playa.

39 minutes ago, eddiev said:

Ok , I just did this for the top 10 teams in the nation against SJB and they never lose. So according to this score predictor SJB should be National ChampsxD

Sounds about right... 

Cali gets overhyped every year... 

It'll be funny if SJB loses to STA. 

Or even better... we see a repeat of 2015.

https://n.rivals.com/position_rankings/football/2019/PRO

Surprisingly Casteel is 12th rated pro style QB in comp.  Rivals has him 9th and he doesn't even have backup varsity experience.   No STA QB I am aware of was ever rated that highly.  

Of course this means squat for tomorrow night, but he's also doesn't have the size and frame of Sitkowski for example so you have to assume his rating is based on his mechanics and arm strength and not just raw skills with FBS prototype physique.  I'd like to see STA with another dual threat type QB who can sling it one day, but for the next 2 seasons I think STA is in good hands w Casteel.  

15 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Sounds about right... 

Cali gets overhyped every year... 

It'll be funny if SJB loses to STA. 

Or even better... we see a repeat of 2015.

I agree that Cali teams benefit from massive overhyping. 

But, SJB could very well beat STA... and IMO, they probably will.

On 8/23/2017 at 4:12 PM, ECHS05 said:

Tell you what...

Im guessing youre going with STA...

Ill make you a wager. Ill take SJB straight up, you take STA straight up... you name the stakes!

The difference is going to be the QBs. STA lost Jake Allen and their new QB didnt really do anything to wow anyone. SJBs Re'al Mitchell returns after a season where he progressed well as a passer, nevermind that hes one of the faster players in CA.

IMO, SJB will be better than last year. They will beat STA by 6-10 points.

Thanks for the opportunity to put up pink slips ECH, but such a wager would be about as meaningful to me as placing a bet on the outcome of a coin toss.  I've not seen either team play this year, so even if I won the bet, it would be much more reflective of how lucky I was than it would be a demonstration of any ability to evaluate a HS football team...

As for the QB analysis, you are basically agreeing with Steeler on this.  I am a fan of the QB comparison approach to HS football teams that Steeler and you have used here (although I don't really think of it as a match-up analysis as QBs don't play against each other).  You both make a solid point, and I find it's always a good idea to look more deeply into everything Steeler writes about HS football games (although we more often agree, we aren't always in lockstep).  

I don't recall seeing the new STA QB, so I've no opinion.  As for the Re'al De'al, I think I saw him play 4 times last year, 3 on stream/TV and once live in the state championship game.  As both Steeler and you suggest, he's really fast, and he will hurt you with his wheels.  Count on him to break at least a couple that will go for/set up some scores.  But I would also suggest that he's had that ability since his first start, so those scores are already baked into the cake so to speak.   Traditionally STA D-Lines are excellent at containment (but I don't know what they bring back this year).  

WRT the De'al's passing, I agree with you, I think he did get better as the season progressed, but last I saw, I thought he also had some room for improvement.  As I recall in the state championship, he missed some wide open receivers early, but he had some incredible passes later.  As I also recall from last year, the STA secondary was a strength, and much better than the DLS secondary in the State Championship -- So that could hurt SJB if there are some errant throws early and STA makes some plays.

But, I don't really know.  I could see any outcome in this game.  SJB wins big.  STA wins big.  One big play at the end makes the difference...no outcome would completely surprise me, but with two loaded programs head to head, it could easily be a classic.  To use another HS football cliche, and as I alluded to in an earlier post, I suspect it will ultimately come down to line play -- And as Prepgrid suggests, we may get a read on that pretty early on.

Should be fun.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Cossacks said:

When did that start?

Prolly bout 3 hours ago....;)

You are always well stocked -- Whatcha got in the fridge for this one Cossacks?  You know it's real when 1dayPGA is breaking out the Pliney's.

I've not yet decided, but as I will be coming off the golf course about half hour before kickoff, I'm leaning toward a summer blend - Maybe a Pelican out of Tillamook Ore, that I discovered last week, or an Allagash White out of Maine.  Allagash has a tripel, so the alcohol content of that one will match the magnitude of the game...You'll get a full report in the game thread (cuz beer talk is legal on the main forum B|).

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bestcoast said:

I think SJB wins. Cali plays the most physical football in the world. I've seen it first hand. They are some tough dudes!

i have to jump in the shower now after my after work surf.

living the dream!!

Lol. Some of the most physical football in the world....

In the world of physicality... Cali falls somewhere in between Marshmellows and Charmin Ultra Soft...

Theres 45 other states that can claim better physicality.

Cali is good at finesse.

1 minute ago, ECHS05 said:

Lol. Some of the most physical football in the world....

In the world of physicality... Cali falls somewhere in between Marshmellows and Charmin Ultra Soft...

Theres 45 other states that can claim better physicality.

Cali is good at finesse.

Ga are the soft ones. That's why they schedule there number 1 team to play Cali's number 35 team.