Some California news

Ararar

On 12/11/2022 at 1:24 PM, SoCalFball said:

Well the NCS has a system in place so even though Pittsburg loses to DLS they get a chance to still go to state yearly. 

It will be interesting to see if the NCS keeps that system in place now that DLS has been losing to other NorCal teams.  It is curious that an NCS team has still not been able to manage it.

I think the SDS 4-team open setup would work well in the CCS (adding this one division), but the NCS divisions are not set up well, in general.

I think that while this 4-team concept would be good in sections like the SDS and CCS, we have to keep in mind that the SS is 4x bigger than either of them.  I get that the two-headed monster resides in that section, but slicing off it's D-I to only 4 teams makes it really disproportionate to the rest of the state... and you'll still have people complaining, no matter what.  The remaining good public schools will still have to deal with the rest of the Trinity and Mission League teams.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:34 PM, HurricaneNick said:

The state championship was 2 weeks ago at the rose bowl. I think the attendance reported was 16k. 

I felt the same way last year when Servite twice played Mater Dei closer than Serra did. In fact, MD's margin of victory against Serra (37 pts.) was larger than their total margin of victory for the two Servite games combined (9+20=29 pts).

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone gonna mention about the blockbuster transfers going on in the SoCal transfer portal?  Lot of  athletes moving to Sierra Canyon.  Bruce Bible working his magic there.  Surprised to see Butters move to JSerra.  I don't know much about their new coach, but looks like he is off to a good start.

2 hours ago, QPRTrinity said:

Anyone gonna mention about the blockbuster transfers going on in the SoCal transfer portal?  Lot of  athletes moving to Sierra Canyon.  Bruce Bible working his magic there.  Surprised to see Butters move to JSerra.  I don't know much about their new coach, but looks like he is off to a good start.

No…. And there is no “Transfer Portal” in HSFB…. That is for College… 🤣

I haven't seen or heard any "blockbuster" moves. These are two-tier at best transfer moves.  I keep hearing from a certain writer tons of QBs will be on move. But the reality is, none of the QBs on the move are game changers, its probably why they're on the move. There's only one QB in the 2024 and even 2025 class who's considered elite at this point.. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, covercorner said:

I haven't seen or heard any "blockbuster" moves. These are two-tier at best transfer moves.  I keep hearing from a certain writer tons of QBs will be on move. But the reality is, none of the QBs on the move are game changers, its probably why they're on the move. There's only one QB in the 2024 and even 2025 class who's considered elite at this point.. 

I think Esparza is a game changer and Sierra Canyon losing him is bad.  What is even worse is Los Al losing O'Neal.  He is a promising prospect.  I wonder where he will end up.  

On 1/4/2023 at 6:59 PM, covercorner said:

Tollefson is a 5* and currently the #2 QB in the 2025 class. I only saw him play once, but he looked the part to me. Are you just not sold on him, or are you saying it’s two tier at best because of the destination?

6 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Tollefson is a 5* and currently the #2 QB in the 2025 class. I only saw him play once, but he looked the part to me. Are you just not sold on him, or are you saying it’s two tier at best because of the destination?

I know Tollefsen is rated high, but I don't consider him a Tier 1 player.. right now. In fact, alot of these overall players ratings are inflated, not for everyone, but alot of players.  Its all based on his skill, and not what he's done on the field. On the field, SM game showed he has a ways to go to garner the rating he's been given  - he struggled vs higher competition. It does players no good when they get highly rated vs weak/lesser competiton. He looked pedestrian/average vs SM, granted, he lost alot of skill players, from the previous year but I'm not sure JSerra will be any better in terms of skills players, unless they get some proven skills players transferring in. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 12:34 PM, HurricaneNick said:

Mission viejo 3* runs right past a Lakeland 5*

Lakeland vs San Clemente would be a good game. Sorry if that hurts feelings. 

So wait, one play in one practice without any other Lakeland and San Clemente players, somehow means a game between Lakeland and all their players and SC and all their players would be good? I don’t think football works that way. Would SC’s line give their QB time to throw it to this guy? 

• Like 2